oil leak....main seal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak....main seal?

So I went to a dealer for a free check on an oil leak. Everything was normal, I was towing 12k gross, and that night there was prob. about 6 spots dripping on the ground, 3-5" dia. marks from oil. I thought it had something to do w/ the turbo, ped, or EBPV stuff. There is no oil in the valley. Oil is all the way back to the tran. pan, exh. pipe, and the cross member. Take it to the dealer and they tell me, my main seal is leaking, along w/ my oil pan, oil cooler, and crankcase....something basically saying 2800 for a repair. I even asked about the turbo and the tech said it was fine, dry. I took a mirror to look behind the turbo and I see oil dripping off the ebpv rod, and fresher/wetter oil all around the back of the turbo.
How much oil can leak from the EBPV?
Is there any way I can check to see if the main is leaking?
Over all the leak is about....1/2 gal 3-400 miles

I thought something was wrong w/ the turbo, so I switched my chip into a higher setting and under heavy load when the boost hits 9-10 psi, the turbo makes a very subtle high pitch whining type noise. Easiest way to describe is like an elec. motor at a very high pitch, high speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 AM

Sounds to me like the turbo pedistal is leaking and not supplying enough oil to the turbo. You probably have already fried turbo and all the oil that is suposed to go to turbo is all over the back of the motor.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is very doubtful that your rear main is leaking. It is possible but VERY uncommon.

Chances are that the oil is coming from the pedestal and/or EBPV piston. Best thing to do is to get everything cleaned up as good as possible with simple green and garden hose pressure water.

Next, you have 3 choices:
1. Gut the EBPV from the pedestal,
2. Rebuild the pedestal EBPV with a Garrett kit
3. Replace the EBPv pedestal with a non-EBPV pedestal.

Any of the above will cost less than $200 if you DIY.

Oil cooler can be rebuilt if you find it to be leaking after you fix the pedestal. This is also an inexpensive DIY repair but usually an oil cooler leak will get oil in the coolant.

It sounds to me that your dealer is looking for suckers that they can take to the cleaners to improve their bottom line. Kind of reminds me of the old full-service gas stations where the attendants carried around an ice-pick in their back pocket. "Sorry sir, but when I was checking your water level, I noticed that you have a leak in your radiator and we can replace that!"
Old 03-14-2009, 07:54 AM

The apt. complex I live at doesn't have any outdoor faucets, and only thing near by is a car wash. I just bought the simple green and tried to clean some of it, but to me it seems it has to be turbo related. I've been shopping/looking at ways to disable the EBPV, and I probably will be doing that. I ordered a turbo re-install kit from ford for $25, which has the bolts and alot of o-rings. Will be getting ped. o-rings also. Anything else I would need. Thinking of doing a WW install too. Is there any thing I need for that. All I can think of is some more PB blaster. Any "special" tools?

I couldn't believe what the dealer said, I even told them, it was odd the most expensive things to go wrong on the truck all went at the same time. The service mgr just laughed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.