2002 F250 7.3 stalling, or no start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 F250 7.3 stalling, or no start.

It was cutting off on me for about two weeks, went and had the camshaft recall performed. It ran good for about 4 days then started it again but seems to be getting worse. Now when it stalls on me the wait to start light remains on and it will not start until the switch is cycled several times. When the engine is cold it seems to always cut off at the same temp. warming up. I have a good scanner and retrieved these DTC's. Hope someone can help me pinpoint the problem. I can fix helicopters but this is a different ballgame for me.Please, any suggestions would be helpful.
KOEO P1218 Cyl. Iden. Stuck High
KOEO Buzz Test P1218 same as above
KOER P0284 Cyl. #8 4.6% contribution fault

Last edited by 12 Point; 03-10-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has anyone had a superchips chip go bad, not a programmer but an actual chip? I removed it and the truck seems to be running good now. I would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with theirs so I can say for sure thats what the problem was. Thanks for any replies!!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
I can fix helicopters
What type of helo do you work on Im a CH47 Chinook mechanic!! Just kind of wondering? About your truck stalling out this guy is right about the programer thing they can cause that to happen. Heard of the camshaft probleam did you have them replace the sensor too?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I worked on uh-60s in desert storm, US Army, got out in 1991 because of the Iraq situation. I presently work on Eurocopter AS-350BA, B2 and Bell 206LongrangersL1,L3, and L4 with Omniflight Helicopters in Newnan GA. I had the cps relaced about 1 week ago and it did not help.Thanks for all you do for us and our country!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE ALL READY DONE FOR OUR COUNTRY!!!! The truth is Tangos and Uniforms are natral born enemys but we all learn to get along when we get to the big sand box they call the middle east! Thank you once again for all you have done!!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks to both of you guys for sticking your necks out for us! X2 on a chip failing. You wouldn't be the first to have a chip go bad by a long shot. One question though, the codes you listed, are you still getting them with the chip removed?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine did the same thing. it was the pig tail that the CPS plug runs to. had to go to ford and get a new pigtail and solder it on. fixed it.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Since I removed the chip and cleared the codes I have drove the truck for 2 days now with no problems, seems to be running fine. I will drive it tomorrow and see if it will throw some more codes at me. The only thing I did notice was it still gives me a #8 cyl. contribution fault of 4.6 0/0. It runs smooth and have talked to a few guys that say their truck gives #8 fault also and not to worry about it, has anyone else heard of this? I will post tomorrow after i pull codes and let you know!
Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck (2001 F250, 272k) was also showing a cyl #8 contribution fault on AE with a dusted motor (75psi on cyl #8, approx. 350 avg. on the other 7 cyl).

I ran the test on my other truck (2000 F350, 345k) and also got cyl #8 cont. fault. This truck is 100% stock and runs good. I did not do a compression test on this truck.

Neither truck was showing a MIL.

I bought a replacement engine from a late 99 E350 Van with 245k on it. I drove it before the engine was pulled and it ran strong (totally stock). I wasn't sure if AE would work on it, but I ran both "buzz" and "contribution" tests and both were fine with NO cyl. #8 fault. The (VAN) motor has all 8 AD injectors, the trucks have the AE in cyl #8.

I hope to have the (VAN) engine installed this week and will probably be posting lots of questions if I have problems (I'm totally new to this 7.3 world).

I am very grateful for the vast amount of knowledge on this forum.

I have read on this forum and others that cyl #8 fault is somewhat common.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have seen that the chipps make poor connections and cause that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.