1999 7.3 Dirty Intake/Dusted turbo/Blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 7.3 Dirty Intake/Dusted turbo/Blue smoke

Hi Everybody,
I picked up at 1999 F-250 w/ the 7.3 last week at an auction. It is blowing a decent bit of blue smoke when started, decreasing once warmed up. But it is still blowing some when driven when warm.

I took a look at the air filter and there is quite a bit of dirt on the engine side, I have included a picture of the turbo and intake hose. Looks like the turbo has been dusted some.

The is my first 7.3, but it seems to have decent power and the turbo seems to spool up okay. Though it is very quiet compared to my other diesels (IH 466 & CAT 3126).

I'm just trying to do basic maintence now to see if it helps. Should I clean the oily dirt off of the intake hose? Could the smoke be from the crankcase ventilation? I haven't driven it enough to know how much oil it is using, though it was down 3-4 quarts when i got it.

Basically want to make sure it is going to get drastically worse or the turbo will completely let loose while driving making it a more expensive repairt job. If I'm going to be putting over $1k in, I'll probably just resell it as-is.

Also, is there a clutch adjustment, as it is hard sometimes to get into gear, particulary reverse? I appreciate any help at all.

Thanks, Ross
Attached Thumbnails
1999 7.3 Dirty Intake/Dusted turbo/Blue smoke-turbo4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, that intake looks nasty!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, that was pretty much my thought. The oil seems to have caught quite a bit of the dirt, which I guess is good. Not sure if it would be good to clean. I guess if I'm going to sell it, I probably ought to. Ross
Old 03-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

remove the oil fill cap with the engine running and place your hand over the hole, does it blow your hand off or can you keep your hand on it? sounds like the cylinders are dusted and it is burning oil.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

If your havin trouble gettin it into gear sometimes and reverse, your clutch is probably wore out. Check your master and slave cylinder for any signs of leakage, if none bleed it and see if it improves. If it doesnt pull the trans and look at the clutch, if it isnt wore out then the synchros are gettin wore out in the transmission
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
blue smoke could just mean that the turbo is bad. You really cant say if the cylinders are damaged because of it, you would need to do a compression test.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as the transmisson goes. It seems fairly fine shifting for normal driving, though I haven't done too many high RPM downshifts to get a feel for the synchros. Generally, when it has been hard to get into reverse it is usually hard to get in L also. I'll usually get it into the lowest gear it will go into, pull a couple of inches and then it will drop into reverse. I guess things are lining up in the transmission and it needs to move a little to get in.

After I get it back together today I'll try and see what the blow-by is like.

Thanks, Ross
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbancor View Post
As far as the transmisson goes. It seems fairly fine shifting for normal driving, though I haven't done too many high RPM downshifts to get a feel for the synchros. Generally, when it has been hard to get into reverse it is usually hard to get in L also. I'll usually get it into the lowest gear it will go into, pull a couple of inches and then it will drop into reverse. I guess things are lining up in the transmission and it needs to move a little to get in.

After I get it back together today I'll try and see what the blow-by is like.

Thanks, Ross
Im pretty sure you have a hydraulic/ clutch wear problem. If the clutch master cylinder is full, not leaking, and you bleed it with no improvement, then plan on a clutch set.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Continuation of truck problems

Hi everybody,
It has been awhile since I posted. I have now noticed that the blue smoke only last for about the first 2-3 minutes when the truck is cold and started.

The main problem I have now is the getting in gear problem. I first thought it was the clutch master/slave. So I bought the pre-bled Ford unit and had my mechanic install it. It was slightly better, but then started to get worse.

Thought was maybe cracked pressure plate. Took to Aamco, they said was bent shift lever or linkage (not sure). They got the part in but then found that it didn't help. They then check further and say they found what looked to be aluminum metal shavings in the oil.

They now think it is a shift fork, and that it would need to be rebuilt. I'm probably going to at least get a second opinion from another shop.

Last I drove it, it had gotten worse when stopped. To when I first started it I tried for 5 minutes to get it into any gear after I took it out of 1st and it would not go in. When the clutch is down and I try to push it into gear, I do notice the truck try to very slight edge forward.

The only way I was able to get it into gear was to put the truck's 4x4 into neutral, then put the truck into gear, and turn the truck off and put the 4x4 back into high. When the 4x4 was in neutral the transmission would row through the gears just fine.

Not sure if any of this helps in anyway not having the vehicle. Based on what I have heard and check from the shops, I am looked at between $2800-$3500 to have the transmission rebuilt and put a new clutch in at the same time. Just want to make sure it does need it.

They have yet to drop the transmission, they want $700 to take it out and open up and check it, which would include putting it back in after that (with or without rebuilding).

I appreciate any help or ideas with this situation.

Thanks, Ross
Old 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

I agree with the other guys sounds like the clutch is worn out i hve seen the same symptoms and replacing the clutch solved the problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.