Help oil leak....turbo ped? + dusted? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help oil leak....turbo ped? + dusted?

Alright just got done doing some heavy towing yesterday, and I see a a good bit of oil under the truck. The leak shows behind the engine, nothing "new" in the valley so I doubt the hpop. Most of the oil is leaking down the trans pan, exhaust pipe, and on the trans cross member. There is some oil leaking, weeping, not dripping, on the rear of the oil pan. I don't see much oil from the driver side, but I can see oil on the pass. side behind the turbo, mainly below the pedestal, and some going up the pedestal.
Also is the turbo shaft supposed to move in/out? There is no play/wiggle up/down but it moves a good bit in and out, but never get caught on the housing. I can push it all the way in and spin freely and pull it out and it spins freely.
When I removed the intake tubes to check the turbo, I saw this.....dusty stuff in the intake, does mean what I think it does. Any ideas about anything, at first I was pissed about the oil leak, now the oil leak doens't seem so bad. I have my ccv rerouted and my fiance thought the smell was getting worse, and I thought I saw more blow by while driving. The truck has 190k on it.

Here's the first pic....turbo w. dust on it, I ran my finger across it so you can see a contrast.

INtake tube

oil leak

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats a lot of oil!

Did you plug the hole in the intake tube when you did the CCV mod?
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 AM

yea, I got rid of the stock piece w/ the hole and used a left over piece of exhaust I had to connect the 2 tubes
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

looks like you have a HPOP leak or line or o ring somewhere leaking, look in the valley bellow the fuel filter for leaks off the HPOP, if you want a picture of what it looks like go to dieselorings.com and click your year and HPOP o rings there is a picture of the pump. see if you have any leaks and also follow the lines off it. There is two lines off the pump one goes to each head on the motor. try this first and report back, im sure others will chime in, Looks like a lot of grime everywhere on the motor,
Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There is also a possibility that you have a fuel leak on the top of the engine. Fuel can mix with the grime and other oil seepage on the top of the engine and when it finally runs down the back of the engine, it can look like oil.

The only way you're going to pinpoint the leak(s) is by spraying down the engine with concentrated simple green and flushing it off with garden hose pressure - not power wash. It may take a few times to get everything real clean but then with the help of a flashlight and telescoping mirror, you will be able to tell where the oil or fuel is originating from.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:48 PM

any thoughts on that white residue/dusty stuff in the intake
Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM

When the truck is idling and you pop off the oil fill cap is there alot of smoke coming out? If so you've got some blowby but if the smoke is faint its not bad. As far as the dust goes are you sure your airfilter lid is on right those old PSD airfilters were a pain in the A$$ and dust might be leaking by that.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 AM

I checked the air filter and everything was tight, not sure on that. I checked the valley and its dry, at least no new oil there, if its oil, it coming from back by the turbo. Is there any way I can tell if its the main seal leaking? I haven't seen any fuel leaking, it doesn't smell like fuel, and my mpg's haven't changed.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Looking w/ a mirror, I see oil on a rod behind the turbo, if that makes sense. Is that the EBPV thing leaking, I see oil on the up pipe also which is close to the rod. Does the turbo need to be removed to get to the EBPV?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 AM

yeah it does. Its not too difficult to do, read a few write ups and take your time. Spray the hell out of the bolts with some penetrating lube a day before to get the turbo out without stripping the heads of the bolts.. its a pain if you do. You can check out maintains video on how to gut the ped. I just bought a non ebp pedestal from raul.. Its like 100 bucks. Make sure you change the O rings underneath the pedestal and the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.