Water Pump...and stuff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Pump...

Year and a half ago water dripping from the water pump. OK, truck is 4 years old...expect it. Good old Ford dealer is going to fix it under warrenty. Now, year and a half later...yep, leaking again, aroung the pully seal. Of course this one is going to be on me. $350 bucks for the pump , $12 for a few Coors Light , and a few hours in the garage ...no problem. Is this a common problem with the PS water pumps or did I just get punked at the Ford Dealer? Any tricks to swapping these things out or is it pretty straight forward?

Last edited by F350Mike; 01-27-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Worst part is getting the fan off. If you don't have the right tools you might try AUTOZONE for a loaner.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

as toobad said, the fan is the worst, but normally the h20 pumps on the 7.3's fail based on milage, bout 100k on average each. the biggest thing that shortens their life is improper coolant change interval (every 30k) and not putting in the diesel coolant additive. it is used for two purposes. first off, there is a h2o pump lubricant in it, and secondly, older diesels were prone to pitting and cavitating in areas like the cooling passages behind the cylender walls. this is not a huge problem with the 7.3. but the pumps are comon. you should buy that coolant additive from ford, should be like 10 bucks, and add a full bottle when refilling your cooling system. also, replace the thermostat and gasket while your there, since you have to take the housing off of the top anyways, and also, the inlet tube has to be swapped, two 10mm bolts, but they tend to leak afterwards. there is a very small o ring that seals it and it is not enough, brake clean the surface after the o ring is installed and then lay a small bead of gray silicone over the o ring, this will prevent it from leaking. hope this helps.......Marc
Old 01-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

like was stated earlier....the waterpump isn't that hard to take off once you get past the fan. Mine went out at 140,000 miles and from what i have seen that is about the norm. The truck now has about 250,000 and we haven't seen a problem yet so it should last for a pretty good while after it has already been replaced once.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350Mike
Year and a half ago water dripping from the water pump. OK, truck is 4 years old...expect it. Good old Ford dealer is going to fix it under warrenty. Now, year and a half later...yep, leaking again, aroung the pully seal. Of course this one is going to be on me. $350 bucks for the pump , $12 for a few Coors Light , and a few hours in the garage ...no problem. Is this a common problem with the PS water pumps or did I just get punked at the Ford Dealer? Any tricks to swapping these things out or is it pretty straight forward?
You might try installing a coolant filter kit from Dieselsite. It will catch all the evil things running through there like casting sand, coantamination and the like, and keep them out of H20 pump seals and radiator. I put mine in this weekend in about 20 minutes.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the information guys ! ! !

MGWERKS, tell me more about this coolant filter....
Old 06-05-2007, 06:50 PM

My waterpump is doing the same exact thing. leak comes from down around the pan gasket, but it coolent. I got the radiator and shourd out, Now that dang fan.... What do i use (tool name, if i need to get a loaner) and how do i do it. Those 4 bolts on the pulley, there not anything i have, 10mm is the closest i could get to it. I am stuck right now, so please help.
Also my whole fan and pulley wiggles up and down, like the seal is gone or the shaft is messed up.. is that common? The cheapest new waterpump i found was $186 and my local store. Anything cheaper you guys know of?

Thank you for any help
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM

I got tired of conventional coolant related failures in my diesel truck and other vehicles so I ditched the rotella ELC coolant I was trying to use, and purchased Evans NPG+ waterless, lifetime, coolant and 3 years later not an ounce missing or any failures in my cooling system, or in any of my other vehicles including my dirtbike and road course car. regular coolant with water just sucks,:laser: makes a crook out of mechanics that recommend it, aka "job security" :handguns:
Old 06-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Call around for a better price on the pump. On my 7.3 (1996) dealer wanted $289, $117 from autoparts store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.