225k miles w/massive oil leaks - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
225k miles w/massive oil leaks

Howdy All,

New to the sight, and new owner of a 2000 7.3 4d short box 3/4 4x4 w/auto. I got it in exchange for a few days work for a friend of mine. It has over 225k miles on it and the last 60-80k miles it was used as a ranch pickup (aka- tractor) with a hydraulic flatbed hay hauler. It has spent the last two winters idling for at least 5 hours a day. It has been hammered off road so hard that both rear bump-stop brackets are broken off even though it has "helper" springs. It does have a rebuilt auto tranny so I would like to save this motor. The problems I have found so far are as follows:

1. Uses about 1 qt of oil per hour. It has so much oil on everything that its hard to tell where any one place is leaking but, near as I can tell there is oil in exhaust pipe, oil built up all around turbo and piping, and oil coming from back side of motor (could be more from turbo)

2. Has bad misfire/lope when cold

3. Hard starting when cold, sounds like a dead cyl or two.

4. No power at all when cold. A dog, at best, when warm

5. Blue/blackish smoke, bad when under power up hill

I think it has a hypertech chip (at least the sticker on the inside of the door and the programer in the glove box.)

All of that back story to lead into my question,

Is it worth fixing the motor? If it is, What parts? (timing chains/fuel sys/turbo?)

Since I got the truck for little to nothing and have nothing invested so far, would it be worth my time to get the old girl running? I am a good mechanic and very familiar with the diesels that we used in the military, but new to the 7.3's and their computers wizardry. I'm thinking that I will do a compression test and see if the rings are good. If they are I plan on replacing the Turbo, timing chain, ?lift pump?, glow plugs, and get re-man injectors and injector pump.

Does my plan follow sound logic? Is there anything I'm overlooking or that anyone with experience would suggest? I'm not looking to build a monster but I would like to keep up with our 99 24v Turbo Dodge ranch pickup (so I don't have to hear crap about my Fords.)

Is there a good aftermarket turbo/exhaust for a reasonable price that helps with the typical turbo lag down low that these trucks seem to have?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Greenwood_Ranches; 02-20-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to 01F350PwrStk Send a message via AIM to 01F350PwrStk
Wow, sounds like that truck has had an extremely tough life...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

injectors... sounds like the injectors are bad, or the wiring. get a buzz test. could have damaged a cyl and that is where the blowby in the pipe is coming from..... just a thought. they do make a different wheel for the turbo that isnt that hard to install to help with the lag and it isnt that expensive. I had a motor that acted like that and it was someone that had drove through a sandstorm with a bad airfilter.... new motor!... likely that is the route you will prob have to go. Find a good used one at a boneyard. watch the years... different injectors, different sized turbos.

Last edited by helander14312; 02-20-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you're headed in the right direction. Like you said, a compression test will tell. Don't forget you can also do cyl. contribution and injector buzz tests with a good scantool. You mentioned reman injectors and injection pump. These don't have inj. pumps, just a high pressure oil pump (HPOP) that supplies the punch for the injectors. I wouldn't condemn all of that stuff without some testing first unless you're upgrading to bigger/better stuff.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Infidel

Sounds like you've got some work ahead of you. These are good trucks if you decide to put the money and time into it.

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.