Dip Stick tube removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dip Stick tube removal

I need to remove the oil pan and the instructions say to unbolt the dip stick tube bracket and pull it out. It won't budge. Any sugestions? Also, when I repalce the oil pan should I use Ford RTV sealnant or is over the counter good enough? Permatex? Any Help would appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Only use the FORD sealant and once you unbolt the 13mm nut from the valve cover stud it WILL pull straight out.

You've already pulled the motor right???
Old 02-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I haven't pulled the engine. I don't see any reason to do so other than my aching neck lol. It's an E550 box truck. I removed the frame cross piece and the oil pan just drops straight down. Lots of room lots of clearance.

Now, about the dip stick tube. It sure doesn't just pull staight out like it's supposed to. One guy at the top pulling and one guy underneath gently working it back and forth with a pair of channel locks. And the dang thing still won't budge. We can rotate it back and forth in the elbow where it enters the oil pan but it still won't pull out. Just thought maybe I was missing something.

Just an aside...this doesn't suprise me cause everything I've tried to remove so far has been one sob to deal with. I've had some bolts torqued so tight I thought there were going to snap off. That's what started this in the first place. A rounded off bolt head. A job that should take two hours tops has turned into two days.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

its just stuck, should pull out , o-ring is hung , may have to buy a new stick, ive destroyed them before trying to get them out, i like your crossmember idea , on a van you can get away with that , do make sure you get the correct sealant from ford on the oil pan or you will be doing it again, it comes in a caulking tube , the kind in the squeeze tubes will not last
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Mine was stuck in my 96 f250. I worked it around alittle, and it finally gave up.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:45 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TentGuy View Post
It's an E550 box truck. I removed the frame cross piece and the oil pan just drops straight down. Lots of room lots of clearance.

You didn't say that in your first post

LOL
Old 02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry Maintain...thought you could read my mind Thanks guys, I'll keep at it cause I certainly don't want to cut it of and by a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.