Intermittent Stalling - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent Stalling

Have 2001 powerstroke with approx. 135,000 miles. Was on a trip last week truck running fine at highway speed. After about 200 miles into the trip I exited an off ramp and at the stop sign the truck began to go into a stall and service engine soon light came on. I had to feather the gas pedal to keep the engine from stalling. I immediately got back on the freeway because I was out in the middle of no where. Truck seemed to run fine at highway speed maybe a little sluggish. When I got to a place where I felt it was safe to break down I pulled of the freeway again truck did not want to idle and service engine soon light was still on. Pulled into a parking space took my foot of the accelerator and truck died. Had breakfast and was contemplating what towing sevice I would call if the truck would not re-start. Went out to start truck and much to my suprise it started and idled fine with no sevice engine soon light. Completed the first leg of my trip approx. 1000 miles no more problems. On the way home the problem started again at about 200 miles into the trip. Truck would die at idle and service engine soon light would come on. When I would turn the key off and re-start the light would go off if I kept my foot on the accelerator and again the truck would run at highway speed or any type of acceleration. The problem started to become increasingly worse as time went on. Again when truck is under acceleration no problems only when I come to a stop does it want to stall.

Truck had fresh oil change and fuel filter change before trip.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thumbs up Rrsa

So I don't forget WELCOME to the site!!!! I'm not a long time 7.3 owner. It may be a CPS starting to cause problems. It seams the cps sensor will either quit all together or kinda hit and misssss. Maybe someone else will jump in and have some other ideas. Good luck
99 Red Stroker
Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the welcome. I'm under the understanding that the cps either works or it doesn't ? Is this correct ? The truck thus far will re-start when it dies and only dies intermittently at idle and never at driving speeds. I have friends that have replaced their cps because the truck just dies and won't re-start.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:07 PM

Smile

The way I have read the posts it will act in a lot of different ways. If you can take some time and search the site there is a lot of info on this. Maybe someone else will jump in with some other ideas. There are a lot of people on here and they will help in anyway they can. Good luck help is of the way HA!!
99 Red Stroker
Old 12-29-2006, 08:35 PM

Cool Cps

I thought they should either work or not but my son and I have both had a intermittent and weak signal before ours quit. If you haven't had the curse yet it's a good idea to buy a spare and remove the old one and put a little antiseze on the barrel and bolt. Much easier to do if it dies in a mud puddle.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Serving Our Country!

The cam position sensor failure on my truck was intermittent. Stalled at a stop light, wouldn't start for half-an-hour in a parking lot, etc. Replacing the CPS cured it all, and now I keep a spare in the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.