Won't Start, Please Help... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sherman, Tx
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Won't Start, Please Help...

So here's the problem. About 3 weeks ago I ran out of diesel on the way to the gas station. It's happened before due to inaccuracy of my fuel gauge. I shut it off before it died itself hoping to keep what little fuel was left in the lines. After filling a 3 gallon can and putting in the tank it wouldn't fire up. It tried to several times and also ran for 10 to 15 seconds after using starting fluid. After towing it back to my house and adding another 3 gallons of fuel it still wouldn't run for longer than a few seconds, if at all. I've read threads on here from people having similar problems, and have exhausted almost all of the solutions i've seen. Here's the list:
It's a 2000 F350 with the 7.3, It's got 320k on the clock.
Charged Batteries, tested gpr, glow plugs(although it hasn't been too cold here), checked the hpop level, checked the fuel level in the bowl, fuel pump seems to be pumping fine, starting fluid in the intake. After 2 1/2 weeks of trying to get it started I think the starter is now going out as it is turning the motor over increasingly slower despite fully charged and good batteries. I am taking it off today and getting it tested. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
'007.3 is offline  
post #2 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Premium Member
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '007.3 View Post
So here's the problem. About 3 weeks ago I ran out of diesel on the way to the gas station. It's happened before due to inaccuracy of my fuel gauge. I shut it off before it died itself hoping to keep what little fuel was left in the lines. After filling a 3 gallon can and putting in the tank it wouldn't fire up. It tried to several times and also ran for 10 to 15 seconds after using starting fluid. After towing it back to my house and adding another 3 gallons of fuel it still wouldn't run for longer than a few seconds, if at all. I've read threads on here from people having similar problems, and have exhausted almost all of the solutions i've seen. Here's the list:
It's a 2000 F350 with the 7.3, It's got 320k on the clock.
Charged Batteries, tested gpr, glow plugs(although it hasn't been too cold here), checked the hpop level, checked the fuel level in the bowl, fuel pump seems to be pumping fine, starting fluid in the intake. After 2 1/2 weeks of trying to get it started I think the starter is now going out as it is turning the motor over increasingly slower despite fully charged and good batteries. I am taking it off today and getting it tested. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I'll start off with the basics: Have you replaced your CPS? Have you given it a buzz test to scan for IDM codes? Have you checked your UVCHs? The 1st thing I always ask with a 'no-start' after the CPS has been eliminated is to scan for codes. You could always guess @ the typical no-start areas, but scanning always gives you a better idea.

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
symbols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pasadena, TX
Posts: 6,505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea look and see if your tach is moving while cranking

Jason

"Using a thug's murderous rampage to call for gun control is like using Barack's reckless spending to call for higher taxes."

--Michael Berry, American philosophizer & Talk Radio Czar, 1970-?
symbols is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sherman, Tx
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, the tach moves, I had the cps replaced with the recall summer of last year. I forgot to put that in there. What do I need to check on the UVCH's? I pulled off the OVCH's and tested the gp's from there so I know the connection is good there. And How do I do a buzz test?
'007.3 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Premium Member
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '007.3 View Post
Yeah, the tach moves, I had the cps replaced with the recall summer of last year. I forgot to put that in there. What do I need to check on the UVCH's? I pulled off the OVCH's and tested the gp's from there so I know the connection is good there. And How do I do a buzz test?
You'll need a scan tool with diesel diagnostic capabilities like a Snap-On Solus or MT2500 to do buzz tests. You have the UVCH clips installed?

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 
SCUFFY828's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,314
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how about lets start all over , you need to start with the basics first , you are no where near running a buzz test yet , if you have been able to start this truck with ether then i would guess fuel pressure issue , just because the pump seems to be pumping doesnt mean ts pumping enough pressure to run, and just make sure oil is full and in good shape, i think a fuel pressure test is where to start, not a bad idea to get codes pulled as well

SCUFFY828@POWERSTROKE.ORG
ITS STOCK
SCUFFY828 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sherman, Tx
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
You'll need a scan tool with diesel diagnostic capabilities like a Snap-On Solus or MT2500 to do buzz tests. You have the UVCH clips installed?
What clips do you mean?
'007.3 is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sherman, Tx
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And how do I do a fuel pressure test? I haven't seen a schrader valve anywhere so I'm guessing I need a fitting on one of the feeder lines?
'007.3 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Premium Member
 
RadarRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,589
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by '007.3 View Post
What clips do you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by '007.3 View Post
And how do I do a fuel pressure test? I haven't seen a schrader valve anywhere so I'm guessing I need a fitting on one of the feeder lines?
They're clips that mount on the inside of that harness. Our trucks don't come from the factory with them & they can cause a no start if they slip off. I'd wouldn't try this yet. Follow SCUFFY's info 1st, as he's an incredible tech that's helped me out with many problems. Wait to see if he responds back for the fuel pressure test, as I'm not exactly sure how to perform one, either, or try to PM him.

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

RadarRider is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 
Clay Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tuttle, OK
Posts: 17,245
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like you got alot of air in the lines.
loosen the fuel rail plugs on the rear of the heads and key it on a few seconds. Let fuel pump out the plugs and tighten them back up and try to start it.

2003 6.0 F350 dually on high cholesterol fuel (WVO)
2000 7.3 Excursion also on a high cholesterol fuel



Clay Henry is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome