turbo problem?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo problem??

i was pulling my 5er up an 8% a few days ago, and noticed i was not getting higher than about 10psi boost. I usually see around 22-23 under heavy acceleration. Now the only time i see any boost at all is under heavy acceleration, and i only get about 10psi. Any other time i have 0. It also seems to lag really bad, takes a while to build. I pulled the intake boot at the turbo and the wheel looks pretty good, not chewed up or dusted at all. there is no play in the shaft, and it turns freely. I see no black soot on the up pipes. I looked at the ic boots and they are all in place, none slipped off. I am thinking about pulling all the boots off to clean them up and get a closer look at them. I am also considering wiring the wastegate closed to eliminate that as a possible problem. What do you guys think? what should i look at? where should i go next here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Could just be gunked up. Might need to pull the turbo off and do a rebuild.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97StrokerG View Post
Could just be gunked up. Might need to pull the turbo off and do a rebuild.
it is not a variable geometry turbo...could it still get gunked up? btw, it happened suddenly. It was not a gradual change.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinnv View Post
it is not a variable geometry turbo...could it still get gunked up? btw, it happened suddenly. It was not a gradual change.
Yeah I know what turbo your runnin... most likley sometihng has gotten jacked up in the turbo and it needs rebuilt. Nothing happens gradually in these trucks, it just happens. Clean all your boots, and make sure your not leaking anywhere first.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it smoking? If so what color? If no smoke check fuel pressure. If it's starving for fuel it won't build boost. Also even though you might not have a CEL on, I'd check for codes anyway. If nothing there try unplugging the chip and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeslfxr View Post
Is it smoking? If so what color? If no smoke check fuel pressure. If it's starving for fuel it won't build boost. Also even though you might not have a CEL on, I'd check for codes anyway. If nothing there try unplugging the chip and see what happens.
when i get on it it smokes black some. it still seems to have good power, but i can tell it is down slightly. i wired the wastegate shut just to be sure it wasn't opening. i pulled all the IC boots off and cleaned them, and inspected for crackes/holes etc. everything looked good. i am going to make a boost leak tester and make sure there are no leaks i am just not seeing. If all checks ok there, then i might pull the turbo next week. I have a wicked wheel i have been wanting to put on anyway. How hard is it to pull the turbo? do i just pull off the band clamps and unbolt the pedistal? or is there more to it?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasinnv View Post
when i get on it it smokes black some. it still seems to have good power, but i can tell it is down slightly. i wired the wastegate shut just to be sure it wasn't opening. i pulled all the IC boots off and cleaned them, and inspected for crackes/holes etc. everything looked good. i am going to make a boost leak tester and make sure there are no leaks i am just not seeing. If all checks ok there, then i might pull the turbo next week. I have a wicked wheel i have been wanting to put on anyway. How hard is it to pull the turbo? do i just pull off the band clamps and unbolt the pedistal? or is there more to it?
As far as the turbo goes, yea thats pretty much all there is, although I don't think it will fix your problem. I would remove the SuperChip and see if it's causing your power problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i don't really have a power problem other than what's to be expected from the lack of boost. i did remove the superchips to see what happened. i can only get about 7-8 psi on stock, and about 12 psi with the superchip. i really don't think it is a chip problem. it should get double what it is getting in the stock program. any other ideas? anyone? i'm still leaning toward turbo, unless someone thinks i could have some other problem?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:50 PM

Have you looked inside the turbo yet. Maybe an impeller broke or something on the drive side. That would explain the sudden loss of boost. With the dark smoke I'd assume you're getting enough fuel. Without knowing if there are any codes or seeing a data stream readout, I'm out of ideas. For a turbo to suddenly quit building boost and still look OK on the compressor end and spin freely, something major had to have happened on the drive side. Have you checked the IC for leakage or damage?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i did a visual but have not put air to it yet. i checked all the boots and clamps, but it is quite possible there is a leak i am just not seeing. some time in the next couple days i am going to try and put air to her and see if anything shows up. there is a slight bit of wear on the compressor wheel, but not enough to account for that much loss of boost i don't think. once i do an air test, i will pull the turbo if nothing shows up. i ordered a rebuild kit and i already have a wicked wheel so i can go through the whole thing since i will have it out. i'm wondering if the turbine on the drive side is damaged. if so, know where i can get one in a hurry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.