TONS OF SMOKE NO POWER. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TONS OF SMOKE NO POWER.

Alright guys i have a 2000 7.3 powerstroke that wouldnt start in the cold weather unless its plugged in. if i dont plug it in it will start and run for maybe a min then just dies. i can hold the accelerator to the floor and no power and it will still die. the only way i can get it to start and stay running if it aint plugged in is keep starting it over and over till it starts up and shakes lik it gonna die then it finally starts to idle. now when im driving down the road between shifts in abot 2grand to 3grand on rpms the truck will bellow out white smoke and i can put accelerator to the floor and it has no power at all then it will finally clear up then it does it over and over again. any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash11x View Post
Alright guys i have a 2000 7.3 powerstroke that wouldnt start in the cold weather unless its plugged in. if i dont plug it in it will start and run for maybe a min then just dies. i can hold the accelerator to the floor and no power and it will still die. the only way i can get it to start and stay running if it aint plugged in is keep starting it over and over till it starts up and shakes lik it gonna die then it finally starts to idle. now when im driving down the road between shifts in abot 2grand to 3grand on rpms the truck will bellow out white smoke and i can put accelerator to the floor and it has no power at all then it will finally clear up then it does it over and over again. any ideas?
There's a couple of things it could be, so let's name the most common. 1st & foremost, have you scanned for codes? It'll give you a general area of where your problem is. By the sound of it, I'd always check the fuel bowl/filter 1st. Check the condition of the filter & also the fuel. If the fuel is really cruddy-looking, your next place to check would be the pickup screen in your fuel tank. The screen is known for accumilating crud & could cause these problems. There are a couple of other things it could be, but check these areas 1st & see about getting some codes.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
what temps? you may have gelling issues....
Old 02-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it knocking real bad when it's idling once it gets idling? Could be glowplugs/glowplug relay for the starting problem, could be injector(s) for the white-smoke.

But the scanner would be first so you don't throw parts at it. It will tell you what's wrong. Gotta love OBDII.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 AM

ok i dont have any way to check codes but the temps are normal, and the furl filter is clean and fuel doesnt look like it gelling i put stuff in tank evrytime i get diesel and yeah if it cold as **** and aint plugged in it wil knock like crazy till itwarms up
Old 02-04-2009, 03:26 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
ok i dont have any way to check codes but the temps are normal, and the furl filter is clean and fuel doesnt look like it gelling i put stuff in tank evrytime i get diesel and yeah if it cold as **** and aint plugged in it wil knock like crazy till itwarms up
Try to get your hands on a scan tool with diesel diag capabilities. It's one of the most useful tools you can buy owning a diesel. I know this isn't much help, but if you can get one or know someone that has one, throw it on your truck & see what you get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.