shutter?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to FatManStroke Send a message via Yahoo to FatManStroke
shutter??

well im going to try and make this understandable the best i can.

me and the wife were headed back from christmas leave the truck ran great up to WA from CA, and all during the stay in WA. on the way back truck ran just as good pulling hills with no problem. we took off early this morning, and i filled the front tank, and topped off the rear TEXACO. about a 1hr into driving on the hwy the truck shutters like it hit a dry spot in the tank. im not sure what to think we just got gas so i keep going a couple minutes later it shutters again this time longer, so i look down at the gauges and im losing pwr. the tac is bouncing up, and down. the battery light comes on within a couple of seconds the truck dies. i pull it over, and im thinking oh s#!% the cp sensor....... now for a second im kicking myself in the head for not getting a spare before we left on the trip. still puzzled about the battery indicator still being on, so i turn key off to see if any thing else is lit. nope!! turn ignition on again, and try to fire. she fired right up so now im thinking just get as far as i can to civilization. truck shutter once more later on but didn't die. the wife mentioned something about bad gas i wasn't sure if diesels could have bad gas from the pump, but i guess i was wrong cuz shortly after the water in fuel indicator came on. truck ran okay not with the pwr it had before.

question is this. do you fellas think it was the gas, or the cp that caused the shutter? haven't run codes but if suggested i will have a diagnostic's check done. i read up on the water in fuel issues on the forum a little while ago, and did what needed to be done. there was definetly water in the fuel bowl, and the indicator went off. she test drives as she did when i first baought her, awesome!!! still not sure if thats the cause of the shutter, and dieing though.

thank's and sorry so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

you can difiantly get bad fuel. and wif can cause that shutter. water does not ignite. did you get any white smoke from the exhaust. also teh water in fuel will cause a loss in power. and the shutter. i tend to go to fuel stations that run trough a lot of fuel not a mom and pop store that barely moves any fuel. truck stop is the best place. i woould drain that tank and fill it back up and add some heet water remover to help clean out the water you have in the lines. hope this help. happy sailing
Old 12-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

couldn't see any smoke but i was running threw some bad weather head winds were strong enough to make it difficult to open the door to get out of truck. then we ran into some snow, but for the most part rain... rain.... rain. i definetly notice pwr loss but it's better now. the Texaco is topped at i would imagine moves quite a bit of fuel but maybe not diesel. i like truck station better myself but the timing wasn't right as it seems i didn't need fuel when i was near a truck stop but needed it when i couldn't find one.

thank's for the help though rig's running good
Old 12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

strokermann will the heet water remover be okay for the engine????
Old 12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

yes its like asorbs the water and dissapates its. basically dries it up. i am sure they woun't sell sothing that would harm your egine.i have used it and nothing so far.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just one more question? stanadyne is what im running in the fuel. i run it every time i feel up. if i remeber correct on the bottle it says that it's suppose to get rid of water but im not sure how much you have to put to get rid of water in the tank. do you think i should temperarely stop using the stanadyne when i run the heet through?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:38 PM

No need to stop running the Stanadyne, you'll need the lubricity. As far as the Heet or similar additives, make SURE they are designed specifically for diesels. If not, they can reduce lubricity and score your cyl. walls. Stay away from anything with alcohol.
Tom

Last edited by Sabre2th; 12-28-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

when you buy the heet make sure you get the red bottle. its for the diesel. i guess i should have said that sorry. and he is correct don't stop using cause i am sure your running ulsd and you will need the lube
Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

okay found the iso-heet in the red bootle the only thing that is bugging me is what Sabre2th said about alcohol. the iso-heet contains isoprohic alcohol. is there anyother product out there that will work without alcohol. i looked on the shelfs of autozone and couldn't find anything. if there is nothing better then i will use the heet and just use a little more stanadyne than normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.