Major Oil Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major Oil Leak

Hey guys,
I've developed a new problem with my PSD. Here's the situation: It has developed a big oil leak on the drivers side of the engine. It looks to be coming from a large tube(about 2-2 1/2 inches) that runs from just behind the front of the engine to the rear above the oil filter. More specifically the oil is coming from a seam in the tube toward the front of the engine. What the heck is this tube? Any ideas? If so, How tough will it be to fix?

Thanks in advance for your time,
Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

might be the cac tube, try to tighten up the clamps. if they are loose it will leak.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply 099f350. I'm unfamiliar with the cac tube. The tube I'm looking at on the truck has no clamps on it. I'm just going to pull off the whole tube and see what I have from there. I can see two bolts on the front end going into the block and two on the rear of the tube as well. I'm still curious what the heck it actually does. Is it like a huge external oil line?? I guess I'll probably figure that out when I get it off too. LOL

Happy New Year everyone!!
Old 01-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
RE: what is it?

I sounds like you are talking about the engine oil cooler. it's a large tube that runs from the front cover of the engine to the oil filter Adapter Bracket.

Jim
Old 01-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are going to pull it off you may want to drain the coolant. The block heater is also plugged into it. There are just little gaskets behind it. It should not be that bad of a job to change.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin dually View Post
If you are going to pull it off you may want to drain the coolant. The block heater is also plugged into it. There are just little gaskets behind it. It should not be that bad of a job to change.
My 95 F250 PSD is at the dealer's as i write this. Diagnosis is leaking oil cooler. He claims they have to lift engine to repair. the quote for this is $1520.00 15-20 hrs. labor.

Phillip:
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Jon

I'll have to look

I didnt think you HAD to lift the motor but I will look.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

I don't think you should have to pull the engine, maybe just move the PS pump out of the way.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry it's been so long to reply! A couple of weeks ago I finally got caught up enough to try and sort out the leak. Indeed it was the engine mounted oil cooler. One of the O-rings had split and therefore allowing the oil to pour out on the ground... The four O-rings and two gaskets were about $70 from the local dealer. I was able to get the cooler off without having to lift the engine, although it took several minutes of turning it this way and that to figure out the position it needed to be in to come out. I did have to remove the clutch slave cylinder from the bellhousing to get it out. All in all it wasn't that bad. I put it off so long thinking it would be way worse and more expensive to fix than it was.
Smokin dually - Thanks for the coolant draining tip, without it I'm sure I would have drowned!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
Glad you got it fixed

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.