Fuel Filter Changeout Probs? Has this ever happened??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fuel Filter Changeout Probs? Has this ever happened???

First time poster, been reading for a while...

(I just re-read thru this and it got kind of long, sorry)

I have a 2001 F-350 Crew Cab Longbox 4x4, I bought it in May with 206K, it now has 229K.

I brought it into a shop to get a front end noise diagnosed, and an oil change, lazy I know, but it was 10 below up here in MN, and the damn thing wont fit into my garage....

They called, said I needed a new front driveshaft, and asked if I wanted a Tranny service done, I said "awright" and they did the work....

About 600 miles later, the truck started running really sluggish, and once warm wouldnt rev over 1800rpms. I figured that the fuel filter was just due for a changeout...., I grabbed the filter that I have behind the back seat, pop the hood, and go to unscrew the cap, AND THE DAMN THING IS DIFFERENT!!! The shop had changed the fuel filter with out my permission, or letting me know about it.

They had taken out my Stock ford filter, and Stock cap, and replaced it with a WIX 33818, which has a built in cap. So I couldnt change it out even if I wanted to, since they kept my stock cap. I went back to the shop the next day, and they had a couple of caps sitting there, asked me which one I thought was mine, I grabbed the one that looked most familiar, and headed back home after work. I took out the WIX filter, and put in the Stock filter, It didnt help the problem, the thing was still running like crap.

I brought it back to the same shop and asked them to do some diagnostics for me and let me know what they found, it turns out that 2 of my injectors are junk.

I have done some research on how the WIX filter works, and as it turns out the WIX filters the fuel opposite of the stock fuel filter.

On the stock fuel filter, the unfiltered fuel goes up the outside of the filter and gets sucked in toward the CENTER of the filter and into the engine. The WIX filter has a tube down the middle of it that goes into the built in "CAP" So the unfiltered fuel actually goes into the center of the filter, gets sucked toward the OUTSIDE of the filter, then into the cap, and down the tube into the motor.

My question is, Do you think that by switching the flow of the fuel inside the filter canister, it may have knocked something loose and ruined my injectors?

I think it is pretty fishy that they were the last ones to mess with the fuel system, and now all of a sudden I need two injectors.....

Do you think it is their fault? Have you guys ever switched from stock to the new WIX and had a problem?

Thanks, and sorry for the long read....

JS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I have done some research on how the WIX filter works, and as it turns out the WIX filters the fuel opposite of the stock fuel filter.
That's news to me, I don't see how they can reverse the flow thru the filter just by changing the structure of the filter. I have both styles in the used filter drain at work, my curiosity is up now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.