Cracked HPOP? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked HPOP?

I have a 95 van with a 7.3 powerstroke with 180k miles on it... I have had a minor oil leak for a while, but haven't been able to tear it apart to fix it. (Y'all know how easy vans are to work on) Last weekend I developed a miss in the engine and when I parked the van, the oil leak was massive. Knowing the HPOP is crucial to the proper running of the motor, I figured the two were related. No power idle is fine, but anything above that it misfires.

I bought a code reader and plugged it in, but I wasn't able to retrieve any codes from it.

Since I have to fix the oil leak anyway, I tore it down and it looks like the oil is coming from under the HPOP. The area under the HPOP looks like someone powerwashed it, so I know that the oil is spraying into that area. I removed the HPOP and after cleaning it up I inspected it in the area that I figured it might be leaking from. Has anyone had a problem with the HPOP cracking near the IPR? It looks like there might be a small crack near the casting webbing on the pump, but it's really hard to tell without testing the pump. All the o-rings were dry and fully intact, so I know it wasn't coming from there.

One thing that I noticed on my engine is that I don't have the QD fittings on the HPOP. All my fittings are JIC #6. I've browsed the threads in the forums and nobody has ever mentioned that fact. Since the JIC fittings hold the adapters into the HPOP in addition to the locktite, wouldn't it make sense that changing to JIC would solve a lot of o-ring problems that I've been reading about. It also seems to me that the QD fittings are more expensive than the JIC fitting.

Since I have everything apart, and have some room to work, I'm definately pulling the valve covers and checking the harnesses in there. (Since I've read about harness problems under the valve covers.) I really don't want to have to put everything back together to find that I developed two simultaneous problems and was too lazy to explore further. I replaced the Glow plugs and relay a few years back. I'll check them before I put it all back together. (Again... vans are not the easiest vehicles to work on.)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Jon

I havent

found a cheap auto zone type code reader or even the small MAC or MATCO ones that will read a diesel yet so I know there are codes in it. I havent seen a hpop crack but anything man made and under pressure can fail. My buddy got a real nice code reader from mac the other day. Just like the one at auto zone here in town. I had 3 codes in my truck from my chip. It didnt pick up any of them. Good thing I have access to a Ford scanner.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:13 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Usually Orings break on the HPOP's and I'm not sure what might cause the crack. I haven't seen any related topics like this to link you to, sorry. Hopefully somebody like Marc will be along to help ya out!

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2006, 12:15 PM
Jon

Yeah,

maybe a Tech will wonder by later. Maybe Marc.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:42 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketechintraining View Post
maybe a Tech will wonder by later. Maybe Marc.
When I posted my response, only the original post was up there. After I posted I saw that you had posted. I in no way was trying to diminish what you said!

Anyways, Merry Xmas fellas...
Old 12-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Took my HPOP to work today and polished the area that I suspected might be leaking, but it only seemed to be surface casting cracks. I installed the HP oil lines on a forklift and applied deadhead pressure on them to see if they might be leaking. They didn't show any signs of failure. I tried pressurizing the pump with air and nothing seemed to be leaking from the housing. I'm going to re-install the pump and hope that my leak was from the mating surface between the pump and the front housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.