Glow Plug Relay - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Relay

I have a 96 powerstroke and the glow plug relay isn't closing.I don't have 12 volts to the coil when i should. Whats the path for the 12 volts.I know earlier models had a control module on the firewall,but doesnt seem to be the case here on a 96.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Glow Plug relay location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdel View Post
I have a 96 powerstroke and the glow plug relay isn't closing.I don't have 12 volts to the coil when i should. Whats the path for the 12 volts.I know earlier models had a control module on the firewall,but doesnt seem to be the case here on a 96.
the starter relay and the glow plug relay look exactly the same. just one cost 25 more dollars
the glow plug relay is to the left of the fuel filter housing, using a test light, have some one turn the key on, and the big bolt that isn't "always hot" should come on for about 10 seconds and then your test light will go out.
replace with new one and it will solve problem. been there, done that. mine didn't work for probably 1 year before i decided to do this very, very simple task.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

glow plug relay

Already replaced the relay and thats not the problem.I don't get 12volts to the coil terminal to energize it.I put in a manual push button switch to turn it on and that works,but it's bugging me where the 12volts original path is from to energize the relay.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
Re: 12 volt Path to GPR

I have a 95 and the diagram for it shows the +12 volts comes from the ignition switch through pin #35 in the 42 way connector. The pcm furnishes the ground through pin #13 of the 42 way connector. These are the coil connection of the GPR. The Power post of the GPR (power for the Glow Plugs) comes direct from the starter relay with a fuseable link in the circuit.

Hope this helps (this is on a 95 model)

Jim
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys...newb to the forum...but great stuff..I am haveing a similar problem with my glow plug relay. Don't have power to the hot side of the GPR and saw the note about the fusable link. Can you give me a clue where the fuse is? Will this require a new wire all togehter or can just the fuse link be replaced?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
Re: Fuseable Link

I'm not sure of the exact location but It should be in the wire from the starter solenoid to the glow Plug relay. If it is open you need to check to see if there is a ground in the circuit that caused it to open. They are there to protect the circuit, and something caused it to blow. I would think they make repair kits for them just make sure to get the proper size (Amp rating).

Jim
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdel View Post
i have a spare 96 glow plug relay. you can have it if you need to replace it.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

have a 97 psd, both large terminals on the gpr are hot all the time thus killing my batteries, i have replaced the relay and still have the problem... any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2007, 12:40 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

glow plug o time is controled by the pcm ,on all psd , black/orange wire should be battery voltage on all the time the other side should only have power when switch turned on cold ,usually brown and yellow wires , the small wires are both controlled by the pcm ,one should have power and the other give ground when you turn the switch ,on unless wiring problem ,pcm may be bad ,check all wiring first though,ive oly seen pcm problems just a few times
Old 01-25-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvblax View Post
have a 97 psd, both large terminals on the gpr are hot all the time thus killing my batteries, i have replaced the relay and still have the problem... any suggestions?
disconnect your relay, then try starting your engine. sometimes mine will start cold even when i don't use the glow plugs............

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.