2001 PSD with a miss - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 PSD with a miss

I am working on one of our 2001 PSDs that was way down on power running rough and SES light on only with engine running and my scan tool doesnt pull codes off of this truck even after I ran a 12V supply wire to pin 16 on the ALDL connector that ford neglected to run. I used an infared to determine that the right back was way cooloer than the left bank and figured the plug was loose under the valve cover. I pulled the right side valve cover and the plug was loose. I installed the clip that ford sells to "fix" that problem put everything together and it runs much better. It still has a miss and the SES light still comes on only while it is running. I added the "fix" to the driver side plug under the valve cover, no change.
What is the resistance supposed to be on the injector pins at the connection on the outside of the valve cover? I do have continuity on the glow plug circuits at both ends of the plug so that tells me that the plug is still on. I am thinking I may have a damaged pin in one of the connectors and would like to narrow it down before I take it apart AGAIN. I know I need to get the proper scan tool to work on PSD, espicially since we have 12 of them but I havent been able top get the boss to turn loose of $2800 I will just have to fumble my way through this. I figure eventually the boss will see how much time I am wasting and just buy the beepbeepbeepbeep tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Wesley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 03:53 AM

bump, because I still need help. Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM

I still need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrainman View Post
bump, because I still need help. Thanks
hopefully people are home or back to work from the holidays, so I will bump this back to the top again. Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can tell ya that my '02 was missing ses on, and no codes. cps was the culprit.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmunns View Post
I can tell ya that my '02 was missing ses on, and no codes. cps was the culprit.
I replaced the cps on this truck 2 months ago. Like I said before, I had a under valve cover harness that had come loose. After repairing the harness plug the truck runs much better, yet is still has a miss and is a little down on power and the ses light is only on when the engine is running. I am pushing the boss hard to buy a NGS scanner so I can quit wasting time on this thing. In the mean time I am trying to find out what the resistance is supposed to be on the injector harness and what pins to check against each other or against ground so I can figure out which side is the culprit. My guess is that I have a bad connection on one of the injector wires or in one of the plugs. I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction so I dont have to rip this thing all the way down again. As you can imagine it is difficult to diagnose anything on the powerstroke with out the proper diagnostic equipment. Thank you for the input.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I understand, but, the cps that did it to me was new. I put in a different one and viola!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmunns View Post
I understand, but, the cps that did it to me was new. I put in a different one and viola!
I guess I could try another cps, its only a 15 minute job and I think I have a spare laying around.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Conservative and Proud

Hopefully all the techies are back from Holiday now in case the CPS isn't it.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee34 View Post
Hopefully all the techies are back from Holiday now in case the CPS isn't it.
That is exactly what I was hoping. I am not one to just throw parts at a problem. I like to be methodical and find out exactly what the problem is and why it happened before I buy parts. That and I am basically lazy and dont want to do any more work than is absolutely necessary.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Conservative and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrainman View Post
That is exactly what I was hoping. I am not one to just throw parts at a problem. I like to be methodical and find out exactly what the problem is and why it happened before I buy parts. That and I am basically lazy and dont want to do any more work than is absolutely necessary.

Totally understand that one!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.