Fuel leak in my 97 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel leak in my 97

Hi,
My title is Don'97 and I have a problem with a fuel leak under the fuel filter housing area. I would appreciate some help, I have a 1997 F350 diesel. I understand that this truck has a mechanical fuel pump. I tried to mop up the fuel and ran the engine and found that the area under the fuel filter started to get wet with fuel & would like some input if possible. There is a large bolt that I think is a banjo fitting with two lines that distributes fuel to the injectors on each bank. Does this fitting ever get loose? Is this a major repair for the average guy? I am no longer working and need to fix it myself if possible. Is there a diagram that shows the fuel lines? Some one please help me.
Thanks Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

check this out don, and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don,

I have a 96PSD and I had the same problem. I found that the mechanical pump was bad. There is a weak whole in the pump like in a water pump. Whne it goes bad it leaks in the same way. Go to NAPA and get a new pump. They provide the factory carter pump for the best price in town. Make sure ask them for a new o rings there is 2 that go in front and behind of the big bolt. While you are in there replace all of the old fuel hose it will save you time in the long run. NAPA has that to. The job should take about 2-3 hours based on your experience. If you need anything else drop a line. Nick
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Brian, Thanks for the quick reply. When I clicked on the message it came up with Adobe reader. Not sure what it is. So you know if there is a charge for downloading it?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nick, Thanks for the quick reply. I will look for the weap hole. Can you see it leaking while it is on the vehicle?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
re: Fuel system

The fuel pump is mechanical on that year. There are several posts on the fourm about fuel pump replacement. With good mechanical skills and patients the average Joe can change it. Read the posts for the 7.3 engines they will be of help. I know this is a "no brainer" but try to make sure its the pump, check all the lines and hoses as best you can.

Good luck

Jim
Old 12-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'97 View Post
Brian, Thanks for the quick reply. When I clicked on the message it came up with Adobe reader. Not sure what it is. So you know if there is a charge for downloading it?
shouldnt be a charge for it. you need it to view that page though. it has a schematic print on the fuel delivery system on the 7.3l.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM

My 96 had a leak that appeared to be from the pump fittings you describe, but close inspection found a leaky sending unit on the drivers side if the filter housing. It has a single wire going to it. 1/8 inch pipe thread it looks like. Simple to remove and seal with teflon tape. I too almost replaced the pump in the valley of the motor. Most leaks follow that path out the back of the motor and down the bell-housing. Found the drop by putting a finger on the lower side of the unit and coming away wet with fuel.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Mike
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mike,
I did find a leak in the fuel pressure and replaced but I still have another leak. Murphys law I guess but thanks for responding. Have a great holiday.

Don
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Brian,
The schematic was what I was looking for. The one you sent was for an electrical pump but I could use one for a mechanical one. Could you tell me where I could find that book that you got your information from.
I hope you and your family have a great holiday.
Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.