I'm not exactly a master mechanic here so I'd appreciate some input.
My truck(2001 F250) will not start. A few mornings ago, I noticed the parking lights got left on overnight. I have a remote start system on the truck and since I had just gotten out of bed, I hit the start button to see if it would still have enough battery to start. It turned over for several seconds but didn't crank. After a few more seconds it tried again. This time it turned over briefly then the voltage dropped enough that it wouldn't even turn over. Just kept clicking. I guess the remote start system got hung up because it just continued clicking. So after running to get some clothes on and get out there to use the key to get it to quit, the battery was pretty much dead.
That afternoon, I hooked up the charger and charged the batteries back up. Truck started right up. I let it run for some time and then shut it off. After a couple of hours I started it up again and let it run for a few minutes just to make sure the batteries were good and re-charged. The next day I got in it to go to work and it fired right up and ran fine. After getting home from work around 4, I was in the house for about an hour and a half then decided to go get something to eat. Went to the truck and it wouldn't start again. Just fast clicking noises. Got the charger back out and charged them up. Tried starting again and no result. Just the fast clicking again.
After spending the better part of a day checking the batteries, cleaning all the connections and terminals, having the batteries checked at the parts store I finally decided it must not be the batteries. I even tried 2 good batteries that I pulled off the boat and still the same results.
After some advice from EricB I crawled under the truck today to check the voltage drop from the battery to the starter. This is what I found.
I'm guessing this isn't good.
Not sure what happened to that bolt, but it looks like something arced causing the black spot, so I'm guessing the starter is history. It looks like the bolt actually broke so I need to also find a way to get whatever is left in there out.