Bad IDM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad IDM?

OK I need some help. I have a 2001 7.3l f-350. No start. Ran bad intermittently for a week. The cel was on when running bad. Yesterday I was driving along and the truck died. Pulled codes. Buzz check. Codes p1272, p1293, p1294. Cleared codes, buzz check only p1293, p1294 come back. Checked harness resistance at IDM all injectors are 3.1 ohms. When I did the buzz test all injectors buzzed.
I did check the obvious stuff; oil, fuel, CMP, Crank speed.
Now to my questions. Is there a test for the IDM? If the IDM is bad will the injectors still buzz? Could an open injector cause the IDM to go bad? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

get your valve covers off...ill bet you have one or both under valve cover harnesses starting to come disconnected from the valve cover causing a poor connection. Yes...when this happens the injectors will still buzz....although they are usually a bit quieter than the ones that are plugged in all the way.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

All injectors buzz about the same volume. I'll pull the valve covers tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Give Doug a call at Advanced Diesel 304-864-3399 SmokinDiesel.com Home
I know he just went through this a few weeks ago, not sure what the outcome was. He's in WV tell him I told ya to call.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update

Ok today I pulled the valve covers. Bank 1 connector had migrated out about 1/16". Bank 2 connector had moved almost 1/4" (that would explain p1272).
I installed the retainer repair kit. Ohm'd out all uvc wires...all .2 ohms. While I was there I turned on the ignition and got 110vdc at the center connector and 1 pin of all injectors. I plugged everything in, cleared codes, ran buzz test. All injectors sounded the same. I still have p1293 and p1294 codes.
Then I tried to start the truck....no start.
Decided to look at the data and noticed ICP was rising to 2300 psi while cranking. So I unplugged the ICP sensor and cranked again pressure reading still rising to 2300psi with the sensor unplugged! The pressure does drop to 0 when not cranking. So most likely a short in the wiring harness somewhere.
I then decided to try and isolate the short so I unscrewed the main harness at the left side valve cover and cranked the truck. Pressure stayed at 0. So most likely I have voltage bleeding in the engine harness somewhere. That's as far as I got today.
My only question today is isn't the computer supposed to default to 700psi ICP when the sensor is unplugged?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wallywally, how are you reading ICP with the sensor unpluged? manual guage, If you are still getting those code you might want to try a test ICM,
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just wanted to let everyone know what I found. Apparently my snap on solus was giving me false ICP readings. Veried ICP manually all good. The p1293 and p1294 codes wouldn't go away. I removed the IDM and pulled it apart. Found 4 obviously burnt resistors. So I replaced the IDM. Everything working properly now. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.