Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Starting is becoming a big hassle

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Poundpuppy 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 7.3 that I recently replaced the CMP/CPS with a ford factory replacement and a few weeks later now I am having a hard/long start issue. I replaced the CPS due to reverse stalling not starting.

Starting takes some time, no matter ambient temp, I live in Florida so cold weather isn't a remote factor. I could have just driven the truck 1k miles and shut it off and try to fire it right back up and I have the same issue as if I were to come out first thing in the morning or let it sit for a week and try to fire it up.

Truck runs once started which takes 5-10 seconds now and use to take about 2 if that to start. I will say she seems to get a little sluggish at WOT but if I back out a little bit she will stretch her legs. I also have noticed that when she gets sluggish that my EGT's go higher than they use to.

In the last two years I have replaced-

HPOP- terminator 500

LPOP- melling pump I believe it is

Injector O-rings with factory rings

CPS/CMP Factory part

All new glow plugs

I do have the hypertech programmer on it which has been on for over 6mo and haven't had any issues from it other than constant codes being thrown p1316, and a few others that are consistent and aren't new. I have an edge insight inboard that I constantly monitor.

I have an extra CMP/CPS sensor that I bought from ford to keep in the glovebox incase I have an issue driving to Guam and don't want to stop to find one. But I didn't want to use it yet since I can't believe that within a month or so it has gone bad. Any ideas? I have read several different threads on this and haven't seen anything that is jumping out at me.

I believe that is all the info for now, any ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
p1316 is idm related.

#4 ·
Honestly I have no clue how many miles are on the motor, I was told when I got the truck that there were about 160k and now I would be close to 200k. I bought the truck and told the guy that I wanted a newer motor than the one that came in it so I had a tighter motor to last me longer with fewer issues.

The IDM code has shown up for the last year but I have never had an issue from it. I think it's from mismatched old injectors which on on my grocery list for this summer. I plan to replace factory with stage 1 possibly stage two along with new turbo and fuel system depending on how good the pay checks are.

I have a few other codes that are thrown when I hit WOT since I have done the programmer but I will have to update tomorrow with them after I run a diagnostic on the insight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.