NEED HELP! Early 99 f250 Computor Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED HELP! Early 99 f250 Computor Problem

Just to start off I'm new to this, LOVE IT and have found many of the posts to be very helpful.

Well my problem starts off with not doing the smartest thing ever. While driving down the freeway in my early 99 f250. The bully dog chip that I have for it was NOT PULGED IN to the computor down by your left foot. A fellow powerstroke driver pulled up next to me and proceed to race my down the freeway. Well with out the chip pluged in I stood no chance so I decided to reach down and plug it in. WELL in doing that the truck completly shut down and I coasted to the side. After sitting there for awhile I checked all of the fuses (under the hood and in the truck) and found none of them to be blown. With that said my question is does anyone know if I fried the computor box and need a new to fix it. Also the truck will crack over but the wait to start light will not come on nor do I hear the fuel pump running. Please HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

check your under the hood fuses again....particularly the maxi (big ones....) fuses
Old 12-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep. You probably fried, or partially fried the PCM. Pull the chip out and see if it will start then.

If not, I would suggest a phone call to the folks at DP-Tuner.com for a replacement PCM. Ask for a PMT1 code. You'll love the difference it makes in your early '99. The transmission shifting strategy is much better than the early '99 codes were. I went from an XLE4 to PMT1 (with an econo tuning) and gained 1.5mpg off the bat.

prt
Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info I'll check them out

And no it still didn't start with the chip pulled out, Also all fuse look good under the hood so I'm sure the pcm is fried.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

yep you fried it. never install a chip with power to the pcm. if you go in at an angle and cross two pins it's done!!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Put a new PCM in it today and works great. The only thing that is not working is my Bully Dog chip. The new PCM is out of a F350 (and not a F250) but has the same computor coed on it. Does anyone know if the chip could of burnt out as well or if it need to be reprogramed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.