Unknown oil leak. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unknown oil leak.

I have noticed that I have an oil leak. I am not sure ware it is because I can not find it. The truck is running like a top and not even missing a beat. I dont think it is a oil burning problem. I do how ever smell an oil order burning on the exhaust. I looked at both of the valve cover and found no leak. I am wondering is there any way oil can leak from the back of the engine not being the head, but some ware else. I have been have clutch slipping problems just as soon as this had started so I am not sure if the 2 are related. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

It's probably HPOP related, wht kind of truck do you have?

I have not had that problem, but I know it is a common one.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:30 PM

I dont mean to sound dumb but can you tell me what hpop means. I just looked under the truck and found what could be a leak on the driver side in the back of the engine. I could not get a good look because of the tranny and exhaust, but I can see the oil leaking into the clutch area.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

It is the High Pressure Oil Pump used to actuate the injectors. I had the same problem on a truck I used to have, but did not have this site's help back then. I replaced the rear main twice and the oil pan gasket three times. I even got a new oil pan. Still leaked. Since I;ve been searching around here, I figured it was an HPOP line. I sold the truck before I fixed it, so I don't know exactly what to look for, but someone here will be able to help you.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the help. I think I found the leak. It seems to be coming from the back of the engine in the rear next to the bell housing of the tranny. I will also look into the HPOP just to make sure. I looked at the pump today and could not find any leaks around it at all. If you know anyone that might be able to help pass on the thread to see what they say. Nick
Old 12-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

nick post some stuff about your truck, year, model, trans. There are plugs in the back and front of the heads that are known to leak on 94.5 to early 99's. they have an updated plug, could be turbo pedistal to block o-rings, EBV actuator, best thing take it down a pressure wash it, and get a mirror and flashlight and start lookin. Also look down in the valley under your fuel filter and follow it back to under the turbo see if there is any oil in there. probably 90% of oil leaks on a PSD come from that area.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to blueharley@cfl.rr.com
wash down with a good oil cleaner around the where the transmission meets the engine then run the truck for a couple of miles look and see if your engine main oil seal is leaking will have "a wet spot " on the bottom of the transmision bell housing could have that seal leaking and oil getting on your clutch causing the slippage or your hpop is leaking ford had problems with both of these
Old 12-10-2006, 03:56 AM

Hey guys just want to provide some truck info. 96 F-250 4X4 crew cab short bed. 5 speed with a 2inch level lift with 33x12.5 tires I have unplugged ebv valve after I found the leak. I want to delete it some day once I get this all fix. It has a Tymar intake and a downpipe only for an exhaust. Some else has said that there are these seals that are in the front and the back of the engine that could be leaking. Thanks again for the help with this. Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.