most times dosnt start unless plugged in - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
most times dosnt start unless plugged in

So we purchased an 03 7.3 truck a little while ago and I have been slowly fixing things on it and diagnosing things.

Things that have been done on the truck so far are.

Fuel bowl o-rings, new batteries, new starter, cleaned battery cables, new fuel filter, new icp sensor and pigtail, new fuel filter.

I cleared all the codes to start with just to make sure nothing lingering.

I have ohmed out the glow plugs and uvch and injectors and the glow plugs are all under 2 ohms, and injectors are under 5.

AE Buzz test says injectors 1 and 7 and 2 and 6 are failing the buzz test. a CCT says #8. there are a couple of injectors that seem to not be as loud as the others.

I am getting a code for the IDM storing codes, and the Keep Alive Memory and the cluster. and the overhead console.

I have an intermittent check engine light while driving and seems when you let off the fuel it goes out. but idling comes and goes.... I ran the truck for a while and got the oil temp up and was watching the perdel data and found that I get 0 readings when I get a check engine light and as soon as the light goes out I get readings again. high reading is number 8 around 6.3 others are in the 1-3 range for injectors 1,2,3 but fluctuate and 4-7 are usually 0. once in a while I will get a 1.8 or a 2.1 on the other injectors.

I added a liter of trans fluid to the crank case to help clean out injectors and it seems to have helped some (cheaper then rev-x), was going to run the truck a little bit longer with the trans fluid in it and then change the oil out for chevron delo 400 5w40 and a fleetguard filter.

the truck has 354,000KM on it.

I have checked the wiring harness and can not find any rub through..

I am leaning towards an IDM issue, but where does AE get its PERDEL data from the IDM or the PCM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot to mention changed the gp relay just to make sure. Took ipr out and cleaned and new o-rings snd nut. Tested and verified that it is getting power on both sides. Yesterday it was +20c out and truck barely started. This morning it was +6c out and it took a good 30 minutes to start the truck. Sounded like injectors werent loading. And there is some grey smoke from the exhaust during cranking. Icp pressure is 700 at an idle and ipr is at 13%.

I am bafflrd as to what is causing the check engine light to come and go and not store a code. I am thinking this may be a sign of a dead or starting to die cps.

The hard start may very well be injectors or bad uvch even though they ohmed out okay.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The light does NOT come on and "not store a code", but you have to have the right scanner to read them. If yours will do a Buzz Test I would think it should though...

What are you using to scan with?

What were the exact codes you got? (the IDM would have thrown a 1316 and, after performing the Buzz, it should have resolved further codes).

Even the CPS will throw a code.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the check engine light seems to be setting a soft code. I have left the truck running and scanned it with the light on and get nothing new and 2 seconds later it will go out.

I am using AE with the ford enhancement to scan it.

the buzz test is throwing codes for a high to low open for injectors 1 and 7 and 2 and 6, but of course to do a double check I did ohm them through the uvch and they came back under 5 ohms. 4.6 - 4.8. Will clear codes in a bit and run a buzz test again with the engine cold. it has been shut off for about 6 hours now.

Codes thrown are P1271, P1272 P1277 and P1276

I am also getting a miss even with the engine warm.

Will an injector mechanical issue cause it to throw the codes?

I have 8 spare injectors out of one of my other trucks which is a 2000. I can get some o-ring kits tomorrow and pop a valve cover and change the ones out that are throwing the code just to eliminate them for sure, the other injectors I have are known good injectors.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay, so I used AE and cleared any stored codes.

reconnected to truck and ran a buzz test and was successful. nothing stored in memory.

Started truck, sounds like an injector not loading.

connected AE again and pulled codes

U1262 SCP (J1850) Communication bus Fault
U1027 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM
P1316 Injector Driver Module Codes Detected

Buzz Test

P1276 Cylinder #6 High to low Side Open.

no check engine light.

started truck up again and ran it for a while getting oil temp up.

check engine light came on after oil temp up. scanned for codes and got
P1316 only.

Shut truck off and did a buzz test and got P1277 and P1276

Injectors 6 and 7 high to low side open.

the truck was shaking while getting the oil temp up like a misfire but none was recorded.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

So what was it?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So as it turns out I did things by process of elimination. Rebuilt IPR. helped but didnt solve it. new ICP and Pigtail. Helped but didnt solve it. Resealed fuel bowl. got rid of diesel leak. new glow plug relay. upgraded one but didnt solve it. new uvch fixed some rough running but didnt solve it. new crank sensor. truck start like a champ but had sticky injectors but at least would start cold and run like a pos (engine rpm showed fine with the old sensor via AE when cranking) new injectors and seals and that fixed it right up. have now done a hx crossover as well, plenum inserts, new plenum boots. and a thermostat. and since used the 4 ways and the brake lights went out, so it is getting a multi function switch tonight and a new hazard switch.

Took a while to get back here in post update on it. My own personal truck died at the same time which turned out to be a bad ipr connector and chaffed wires at the valve cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.