wheres my power loss coming from - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wheres my power loss coming from

I've got an 02 f250 with 350k and it doesn't have the power it used to. I've got a super chip 4" turbo back exhaust s&b intake 10k mod fuel line loop between heads factory injectors and hpop. It has a slight miss only noticeable at idle but otherwise runs great, but there's no low end rpm torque, I only feel power when the rpm are up. I'm trying to figure out if my compression is less than desirable, the hpop is weak or if its a turbo boost loss issue. My thoughts are its not the Turbo because the power I used to have as soon as you lunch the throttle wouldn't be from boost cuz it hadn't built up yet. I get 23 psi boost when I'm on it hard so I know the turbos doing the job. My 10k mod I have an on off switch and you can seean instant change so iI think my hpop is good, I haven't had the weekend off to check the compression so Idk about that. Any help would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You change your fuel filter lately?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hpop might be wore out
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 AM
Emergency Services

ive changed the filter and seen no significant change in low rpm power, some improvement in acceleration once rpms are up. How do I check my hpop to see if its producing adequate pressure? I made up a gauge to tap into the icp port so I can read the psi but im not sure the parameters of whats normal and whats low
Old 03-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I hope its a 5000 psi gauge with a high pressure hose. When cranking it should go up to around 2600 psi IIRC. cold at an idle it should be around 800 psi.

I have a truck thats doing this in a fleet that i maintain but i haven't gotten around to diagnosing it yet. Honestly I don't believe its your pump, the truck i'm talking about has a brand new ford reman in it.

One thing to check. The hose for your map sensor. Have you replaced it? Is it cracked up/old? I know without a map value it will act that way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-23-2014, 07:08 AM

I had the same issue and I chase it for a year. I finally replaced injectors and problem solved. My guess is you have a bad injector. My buzz test was fine, but like you, no low end tourqe. Ran fine at higher RPMs. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Emergency Services

When you say you have a ford reman are you talking about your hpop or the complete engine? Yes its a 5k gauge with appropriate hose, I used it for diagnosing my dads IPR problem so I know it works. My buzz test and contribution test checks out so I don't think its a injector, it runs fine at low rpm bit when you jam down on the throttle at idle you don't see power until the rpms get up then she takes off. I haven't checked my map hose in a while but my boost gauge Ts off of it and I have normal boost so I don't think its that
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffpsvb View Post
When you say you have a ford reman are you talking about your hpop or the complete engine? Yes its a 5k gauge with appropriate hose, I used it for diagnosing my dads IPR problem so I know it works. My buzz test and contribution test checks out so I don't think its a injector, it runs fine at low rpm bit when you jam down on the throttle at idle you don't see power until the rpms get up then she takes off. I haven't checked my map hose in a while but my boost gauge Ts off of it and I have normal boost so I don't think its that
My transmission is a ford remanufactered unit. My engine is original except for the injectors. You are describing exactly what my truck was doing. There is no way to test the mechanical side of a 7.3 injector while it's in the engine. You are only testing the electrical side. I bet you have one or more injectors that are not working mechanical at there peak. They may be putting out some fuel but not at specification. You could pull them all send them off to be tested mechanically them replace the ones that are not up to specification, but with 350k I would replace them all. While your under the valve covers you need to put in need glow plugs and UVCH. (unless you already have). I went with the swamps due tithe 250k warranty. Total cost performing the work myself was $1,500. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Reman ford engine complete

Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemiester View Post
I hope its a 5000 psi gauge with a high pressure hose. When cranking it should go up to around 2600 psi IIRC. cold at an idle it should be around 800 psi.

I have a truck thats doing this in a fleet that i maintain but i haven't gotten around to diagnosing it yet. Honestly I don't believe its your pump, the truck i'm talking about has a brand new ford reman in it.

One thing to check. The hose for your map sensor. Have you replaced it? Is it cracked up/old? I know without a map value it will act that way.

When cranking it needs 500psi. If its really cold my idles at 750-800 as it warms up it will drop to 475-500. The max you see is 3000 psi under load at full throttle. This of course is on a stock truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.