Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 NO START!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SpaceMonkey 
#1 ·
Stock 2000 F350 will not start. Replaced fuel filter, fluids are good including HPOP, battery's are strong, checked fuses and it is reading RPM when cranking. In the past it would start hard only when cold, then have a very erratic idle for a few seconds, then run fine. No problem when above freezing. Now it will only smoke. I noticed an exhaust leak under the hood somewhere when I cranked with the hood up. Truck has 249k miles. Help! Any suggestions?:dunno:

#3 ·
I am thinking IPR or ICP sensor. Your getting fuel because of the smoke. Is it turning over fast enough? Do you have a buddy with a 7.3? Before going and buying parts you could swap in a ICP, IPR, or an IDM. Do this one part at the time and you will find your problem. If that don't work then I be your HPOP is shot. Good luck!

#7 ·
You should be getting white smoke after 5-10 seconds of cranking. "Your getting fuel"

Oil in hpop should be near top.

Get a scanner on it:
Minimums
500psi icp
100 rpm

with that said you want your starter to put out over 100 rpm they are supposed to turn at 150+ rpm on a warm day cold engine or warm engine.
Compression? Run a CCT.
Check CPS I think if you cant read rpms the CPS is bad.
Even if all is well & you are getting fuel etc.

Old injectors, Hpop could also cause this. but lets not rush to that yet.
Also Fuse 22 I think.

#9 ·
No Start

I am having somewhat the same issue with my 2003 7.3 Excursion with 250000 miles. Good Batteries, New Oil Change, New Oil Filter, New Relay and the injectors have tested good too. It won't start but it will crank just fine. If I crank long enough and let it sit for an hour, then I can get it to start and it will be rough. As long as I start every day it will be fine. If I don't run it every day I have to go through an hour long process of getting it to start. I can't figure it out and I would like to fix it but I am on a shoe string budget.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.