Long starts,dies, HPOP level going down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long starts,dies, HPOP level going down

Hoping for some help here Powerstrokers... My truck. 1999.5 F350 96,000 miles. New injector O rings (alliant),new ICP, glow plugs, Big relay (stancor), new water pump, turbo housing(cured surge), S and B intake. Always had long starts 4-5 secs, Hence the new O rings that I hoped would cure. Good fuel pressure, HPOP had excellent pressure (>2600psi) by hose and gauge I made up. In other words I have checked and checked. Oh ya, no gray or blue smoke. Yes I have put it on a computer, but did not have a print out to tell you numbers. If I remember it kept giving us a low ICP code???? But, it fired near 500.

Ok my new problem. parked the 5th wheel the other day and had to readjust. Truck started then died. Started right back up and ran fine. Kinda tried to blow it off, but then it did it again 3 days later. level ground. Oil psi gauge does not come up till it starts + a couple secs. Mind you its 70 degrees today. Everything seems to point towards LPOP, but my HPOP level is creeping down already today after 4hrs, its about 3/4" down. It was 3/8" initially. Ideas?? check valve in the HPOP? I know its low mileage for this, but I am out of ideas??

Thanks in advance.
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You lost 3/8" after 4 hours? That's not really enough to make a difference, an inch low is considered normal.

Thermal expansion alone might explain it, I'd consider it important if you found it 3-4 Inches down overnight. Put a mechanical gauge on and read the EOP accurately so you know what's going on if you're concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoRalPh For This Useful Post:
gacnik123 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put a gauge on the top of the HPOP today at operating temp and it ran about 38psi. Jody at DP said thats about what his runs. That was at idle. We also put it on a computer and everything seemed ok. P0476 was the only code. Oil stayed about the same overnight in the HPOP res.. I ran a fuel psi test one time last yr and everything seemed high, but I am beginning to wonder about that. I notice this issue happening once the fuel gets lower than 1/4 tank. I know about all the info with the tank mods, Hutch, and almost wonder if aeriated fuel may be causing something. I am guessing now, but it needs done any way..Also, I am going to switch from 5w-40 back to 15w-40. Put in a new CPS after getting home today also. Parked on a pretty good incline today and it fired up. Anyway this was todays checks. Thank you for your reply. John
Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Miles are pretty low for an LPOP problem too. Your symptoms certainly point that way but most of the LPOP failures we've seen have been >200K miles. When you measured pressure, was that on a cold start?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Truck was at operating temp after 2 hrs driving. Cold starts are no issue. Fires right up even after 2-3 days sitting. Oh ya with very little rpm increase psi came up very solid
Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM

So what are conditions like when you have your start and die issue?
Old 03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its happened twice in 2 weeks. first time parked the fith wheel-had to readjust so jumped in the truck 2 minutes after shutting off. Truck started and just shut off. key off and tried again and she fired right up like nothing ever happened. OAT was freaking cold, but i had just pulled about 15 miles or so. Truck was plenty warm. 2nd time wife came home parked it outside. I went out about an 1/2hr later to put it in the garage and bingo. Ditto to the above mentioned. Both farely level ground.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was on the phone with Justin at DP when we had it hooked up to the scanner and he thought it sounded like a CPS. For the price I picked one up and installed it when I got home. I haven't driven it much since the install. The one I took out was light gray just like the one I put in. Hopefully!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 PM

That was going to be the next thing I was going to suggest. Hardest thing about random issues is that its hard to know when its really fixed
Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So far new cps seems to be working.. I will keep driving with fingers crossed. Going to change o rings on the ipr this weekend. Thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.