Can't Find Oil Leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 05:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Can't Find Oil Leak

I know yet another oil leak thread..... I have searched and looked and come up with this as a last resort. I started leaving drops on my driveway about 1/4 inch 3 weeks ago. Last week, I gave her a good hot bath top to bottom on the engine. Looked and found nothing telling. This week the drops are about 1-2 inch in size. I finally was able to to investigate today and looked for all the usual suspects with nothing telling. My ped. o rings are new as of 1 yr ago. I have done the hpop lines/plug. I had oil in the valley in the middle, nothing in front. None of the hpo plugs or lines are leaking. I also checked the rear oil plugs. I found oil on the bottom of the intake boots that go from spider to intakes. I wiped that oil off and had time to drive about 5 miles. Checked and had slight oil on boots again. So I started thinking maybe turbo shaft seal or excess crank case pressure putting oil in intake. I put the oil cap upside down on the oil fill spout and started it up and it stayed put. So I don't think too much crank case pressure is the issue. I took my turbo inlet boot off and no excessive oil there and no shaft play at all. No noticeable oil consumption yet. No changes in driving or hauling habits. And yes I'm sure its oil not fuel. (been there, made that mistake). Could the intercooler have old oil from ccv in it that i am all of the sudden working out into the intake now that I am pushing more boost in the last year? I am stumped, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Oil on the boots is perfectly normal. If your turbo seals were bad, you'd have oil in the exhaust.

Is there any way you can post up some pictures of the valley of your motor so we can see where its at?
Old 03-10-2014, 05:26 PM

Ok so I spent yesterday kneeling on my batteries pretending to be a mouse looking everywhere and finding nothing. I pressure washed again and brakekleened everything else I missed. So pics are out of the question even though there wasnt much to see except slightly wet from mid valley back and wet starter. I then drove about 20 miles yesterday and still bone dry valley and no drips. Drove 50 + today and hauled a skidsteer 20 of that. Still nothing when I got home. Maybe just a surge of oil residue through intake that filled the valley and slowly dripped out? I don't know but shes dry still after 70+ miles and earlier I would drive 10 miles and leave drips when I got home.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:53 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Consider the CCV Mod to eliminate all that oil into the IC Plumbing and Boots maybe...
Old 03-11-2014, 02:33 PM

I have thought about it. Any downsides to the ccv mod? I am just really baffled where the oil came from.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokenred97 View Post
I have thought about it. Any downsides to the ccv mod? I am just really baffled where the oil came from.
If the hose is routed so it has a low spot in it, it can create a condensation trap which will eventually cause excessive crankcase pressures. Other than that sitting at a red light people might tell you your truck is smoking if you don't use an oil trap.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM

yeah I dont like the smoke from the ones I've seen. I would use a trap. I am liking the one on guzzles site. I am glad he tested it and it does not cause any excess back pressure.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:11 PM

I like that one too. Work truck currently doesn't have a trap and working 6 days a week I'm not froggy enough to jump up on Sunday and build a trap lol. The minute it drips on a customers driveway I'll clean it up and build one though.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin-7.3 View Post
I like that one too. Work truck currently doesn't have a trap and working 6 days a week I'm not froggy enough to jump up on Sunday and build a trap lol. The minute it drips on a customers driveway I'll clean it up and build one though.
Did you come do anything fancy for the intake piece that bolts on and connects the two intake tubes? Or did you just plug the factory piece?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokenred97 View Post
Did you come do anything fancy for the intake piece that bolts on and connects the two intake tubes? Or did you just plug the factory piece?
I did away with it because I actually had some 4 inch aluminized exhaust pieces laying around from the exhaust I did on my truck and cut it to the length I need after a few measurements. MAKE SURE THERE NO ARE BURS ON THE TUBING BEFORE INSTALL. This is for two reasons, one being that you don't want it to cut the intake tubing but more importantly that they don't come loose and get sucked through the turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.