99 7.3 Fuel Supply Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 Fuel Supply Issues

Hello , Im new here. Sorry for the long first post but

Ive been reading here for a while as a guest for quick references as I am a Diesel Tech at Alban Service In va. But I Currently have a truck in the shop that came in for lack of power and loses power on the high way when Hot and shuts off. Ive done a full service on it. New oil, filter and Fuel filter. Icp had oil in the connector, Replaced that and New IRP valve because the Duty cycle was higher than normal. Now that those are replaced the truck truck has power and runs perfectly fine. Only problem now , is When its warmed up it loses power on the highway and degrades in power till it shuts off. I have my Caterpillar liquid filled gauges hooked to the fuel bowl test port and at idle I Have 62psi. When the trucks warm and given moderate to full throttle the gauge goes to all the way to zero once the rpms are up. The truck then degrades in power till where it onlly does 40mph at WOT. Then eventually runs out of fuel it seems and shuts down. Its a cab and chassis dump truck so there is no sock or mixing chamber screens in the tank. Just a pick up tube. But i Did pull that apart and there is no debris in the tank and the pick up tube is clean. I also Have a p0540 that comes back each test drive. (ICP Higher/Lower than desired) Which I believe is triggered cuz its comanding for more HPO , but the fuel restriction wont let it. My question is: Can the inline pump on the frame Be failing and not handle the volume of fuel needed at higher rpms? even tho its okay at idle? Or should I look into the fuel pressure regulator.

Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions ?
Thanks
Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I cant seem to find the link but look up hutch and harpoon mod for the 7.3...sounds like you have junk in the screen in the pick-up tube in the tank.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

When you turn the key on not starting the engine. How fast does the pump build pressure? If it doesn't shoot up in 1 second your pump is weak. Had the same problem on a 2000 450. Runs like a champ now after replacing the pump on the frame.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM

the hutch mod and harpoon mod are not applicable on this model. It has a generic fuel tank in the rear of the frame under the dump bed. with a 6 bolt sending unit. There is no mixing chamber or sock or screens. Just a standard pickup tube with wire mesh on the bottom. Already raised the bed up and pulled it apart and checked for debris.

Ricemeister: It takes about two to three seconds for the pressure to climb to 62 with the KOEO. Its a steady climb. But it does not Shoot Right up.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

99 7.3 Fuel Supply Issues

Put a pump in it. You should be good it sounds weak to me. Question. If you free rev it what do the pressures do?

Edit: have you pulled the regulator off the fuel bowl to check it for trash?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 AM

I take that back, When I turn the key On Engine OFF, It takes about 1.5 seconds to climb, but its sorta irratic, but that could just be the liquid filled gauges.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM

Free rev , no load the pressure drops maybe 5-10 PSI No lower than 50psi. Seems to be on acceleration and under boost it starts acting up.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Yah put a pump in it. It should not drop like that just free reving.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM

another piece of information, I am hooked to the Top fuel pressure test port on the bowl The Pre Filter one. So If thats getting 0psi, i can only imagine what the injectors are seeing after the filter
Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM

alright. Thanks for the info!!!!! Ill keep up on this thread and post the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.