00 7.3 slow cranking - PLEASE HELP!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
00 7.3 slow cranking - PLEASE HELP!!

Have a 00 7.3. Recently just changed gpr and all gp. One battery was bad replaced that with a new battery and other battery was still good.

Whenever I go to start the truck and gp come on you can watch the battery gauge drop down to around 8 volts. Soon as glow plugs shut off it comes back up to the right reading on gauge. Go to crank it and it cranks very slow and can watch the battery gauge drop again and it will not crank over fast enough and basically just sounds like batteries are dead.

Plug the truck in for a little bit and it will start right up without the gp's.

What could be causing this? Bad starter or possibly batteries weak again?

The one battery is a few weeks old and the other one that I didn't replaced is a little over a year old. Also weather has been in single digits over night but whenever I tried starting today it was probably around 35 and still did the same thing.

Should I pull the batteries out and go have them tested or would it be the starter getting weak or possibly some other issue?

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most likely its the batteries. They should always be replaced in pairs as when one goes, the other usually follows as its been making up for the dying one.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:53 PM

That's what I kind of figured. I'll probably pull out the batteries tomorrow and take them to advance and get them replaced. Both are still under warranty for free replacement.

Still don't really understand why it would crank over with being plugged in but I guess it kind of makes sense since the glow plugs won't be on to draw power.

Also I have my gpr wired to a switch in cab so I control that. As soon as I turn the switch on you can watch the battery meter drain.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM

I don't know what your skill level is but 12 volts on a digital volt meter indicates a dead battery. I deal with this on an almost daily basis in the winter. A good battery will have around 12.6-12.8 volts. I agree both batteries should be replaced together. Make sure all your connections are in good condition also.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 PM

I have good mechanical skill. I have done all the work on this truck such as glow plugs, relay, etc and I've done all the work on a previous Cummins I have owned as well as all myotber vehicles. Unfortunately I do not have a multimeter. May have to go purchase one or just bring them to advance and see what happens.

I knew batteries should have been changed together but was hoping to get away with it for the time being. But the weather going down to the single digits lately around here didn't help out much.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Prior to all of this the truck seemed to crank over fine to me tho, but I am new to all of this powerstroke stuff. Will eventually be doing a 12valbe swap
On this truck but would like to get it running reliable for the time being.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Ok so I got 2 new batteries. Truck cranks fine. Build oil pressure whenever cranking and acts like it wants to start. RPMs do jump up but it just will not turn over. What coukd this problem be? Truck hasn't ran for a few days and it is currently 26 degrees here.

Could it just be the colder weather and need plugged in or other issues? There is no smoke or anything coming from the truck whenever cranking.

It is supposed to warm up to 50s on Friday so I will try a cold start again on that day.

If truck is plugged in for a couple hours it will turn right over without any hesitation or without assistance of the gp's.

Glow plugs are new motor craft glow plugs and the relay has been replace and tested and tested fine.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:16 PM

Also truck is completely stock. And whenever swapping glow plugs I also put on new valve cover gaskets. The wiring on the connectors for the valve covers seemed fine intact and in good shape so didn't change those out.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Also truck does have 15w40 oil in it. Was thinking about changing it to 5w40 synthetic snd see if that helps. Read tbat makes a huge difference for cold starting in colder weather. Not sure if it would be worth it?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any way to monitor ICP and duty cycle while cranking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.