Truck died on the way home. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck died on the way home.

I got in my truck after work and turned it on and let the glow plugs warm up cranked it up and let it idle a minute or so. It did take a little longer to start but not real bad I just figured it might have been since it was cold out. I drove half way home, about 20 miles, until I got to the first stop light. I was idling for a good 2 minutes when it sounded like the key turned off. I tried to crank it up and it turned over fine but it wouldn't fire off. I sat there maybe a minute and floored the gas pedal cranked it over again and it started right up. Drove it the rest of the way home no problem. When I got home I let it idle for an hour to see if it would die again. It never did, I turned it off a couple times and it started fine.

I've read a couple threads saying to check the ipr nut and a couple other things. I have started to have a problem in the dash I've read is fairly common as well. The dash sometimes maxes out and the radio turns off for a couple seconds to a minute then it all comes back on and te truck never misses a beat driving down the road. I didn't know if these could be connected. It was raining on the way home to, I've seen a couple people ask if it was raining when people have similar problems. What do y'all think it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The First thing I would suspect would be the CPS. When it died, were the wipers ON?

You didn't post the yr of your truck, and that's always important...
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the wipers were on. When I got home and let it idle the wipers weren't on though.

I got up this morning and tried to start it and it wouldn't fire off. The glow plug relay was out again... This will be the 4th GPR I've put on it this year.

I changed out the cam sensor less than 3 moths ago. The second time the gpr went out I thought it had to be the CPS and I had one in the glove box and changed it out.

Sorry i forgot to make my sig. It's a 2002 f250 crew cab long bed 4x4 srw.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
4 GPRs in a Year? Somethings wrong...

Which GPR are you using? How do you know they're bad?

In any case, the GPR wouldn't cause the engine to quit so, ya gotta figure that one out no mater what!.

Have you seen the SES light come on at all? Even briefly?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've just been using the auto zone GPRs they keep replacing them for free. If I crank it and it won't start now I just have a volt meter in my truck. To test em I check voltage with the key on on both big studs on the relay. If one of em doesn't have any voltage on it it's bad. I do wait on the wts light everytime I start the truck plus wait a little bit more. I don't know if that could be making it burn up. I figure ill order a Stancore here soon.

Nope the check engine light never came on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.