$3800 Repair.......and counting. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
$3800 Repair.......and counting.

I am new to this forum and need some knowledge and advice. I am NOT a mechanic or that mechanically inclined. I have just a general understanding of how diesels work so please be gentle.

I have a 2001 F250 4X4 Crew cab. I bought it used ten years ago and it has 157,000 miles on it. All I have ever had to do to it is oil changes and brakes. It has been an outstanding truck. Last week it started spewing fuel. I had it towed to a diesel shop. On inspection, they found that the up pipes were leaking badly, the intercooler hoses were bad and a bad fuel line (obviously). I was quoted a price of around $2200 to repair. while in the shop, it was discovered that the turbo pedestal needed to be replaced as well, due to the plunger leaking. I also had a new air filter, fuel filter and oil change. The total was $3800. I was shocked but paid it because I love this truck. However, the truck is now running worse than when I took it in (minus the fuel leak of course).

When idling, there is a shaking that feels like the engine is loose from its mounts and there is an oil leak. But the worst part is the complete lack of power. It takes about a mile to get up to 45 MPH and the hissing from the tail pipe when the vehicle is accelerating is incredibly loud. Also, it doesn't shift correctly anymore. As I accelerate, if I stay on the accelerator, just before it hard shifts to third, there is a cloud of black smoke. The smoke stops as soon as it shifts.

The shop wants me to bring it back in and they think its the turbo unit. If so, they said that the part alone is $2000. I am tapped out with the $3800 as I am a disabled veteran on a tight fixed income. I am really disappointed to spend so much and get back a truck in worse condition than when I left it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check the plugs that go into the valve covers. Sounds like your only running on 4cylinders due one of them not plugged in all the way.

The hissing is your turbo pedestal actually working correctly.
$3800 is retardely expensive. Should've been closer to $1000 total. Only that high due to labor and the up pipes and turbo can be a royal PITA to get apart for the first time in 10yrs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice! The plugs are firmly seated and all connections are good. Any other ideas?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unplug one of them and see if it runs the same. Then plug it back in and do the same thing g to the other side.
Also check your ICP sensor. Refer to the link below.
Unplug it to see if you have oil in the plug. If so, its bad or going to be bad soon.

http://i.imm.io/4AYi.jpeg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

is the ebpv staying closed?
if the ebpv is staying closed while you try and accelerate its not gonna have any get up and go.

check and see if they hooked up the ebpv rod.
i bet they forget to hook it back into the linkage on the turbo.

and i think checking your icp or ipr isnt a bad idea either like hucroey said.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
they way way way over charged you. sorry to hear :/ i wouldnt return to them.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
is the ebpv staying closed?
if the ebpv is staying closed while you try and accelerate its not gonna have any get up and go.

check and see if they hooked up the ebpv rod.
i bet they forget to hook it back into the linkage on the turbo.
This is most likely your problem as it will give you no power, funky shifts and smoke.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 PM

oh and thank you for your service!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

the shop is screwing you. cut your losses and find another shop. i hate to say it, but i think the shop you went to saw a disabled veteran come in and they're pulling a classic scam on you.

they did $3800 worth of minor work and let you drive it away nearly undriveable. then you call them about it and they diagnose your problem over the phone as needing a new turbo right after they removed the turbo? that is absolute BS

try to find a reputable shop, maybe post up your location so someone on here can recommend a shop. take your truck to that shop along with your invoice from the other shop. ask them to check to verify that they actually replaced the parts that they did and check to see what your current issues are. if all else fails, take it to a ford dealer.

i wouldn't doubt that they sabotaged something so you would have to come back. it could be something as simple as the wastegate jammed on the ebp valve. i had this happen to me when i installed my billet turbo wheel.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you all for the info and suggestions. I will look at the truck tomorrow. Can someone give me an idea of where to look to check the ebpv rod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.