SES light and 1316 code, 01 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SES light and 1316 code, 01 7.3

I'll try to keep this long story short. About 3 years ago I bought a 2001 F250 with a 7.3 diesel. It had some body damage and needed a starter, but only 112000 miles. I found out after I got it running that it had a bad miss, took it to the Ford dealer. They found 2 cylinders low on compression and a crack in the hose between the air cleaner and turbo. Still couldn't get the service engine light to come off, so they replaced all the injectors, glow plugs and valve cover harnesses. They replaced the IDM twice, and the main computer too. They pretty much gave up and wanted to sell me a new engine. I said a new engine wouldn't repair the apparent electrical problem, but they didn't want to mess with it until they got their engine in it..
I drove it that way and a while later I found a 2002 F350 2WD with 240000 miles. The body was getting pretty shot but it ran well. I wanted to make sure it was a good truck so the dealer let me drive it for 2 weeks. I put about 600 miles on it, it started and ran perfect, even below zero. I never once saw the service engine light come on. After I bought the truck I had an independent shop take the engine out of the 02 and put it in my 01, and we used the injectors, glow plugs and valve cover gasket/harnesses out of the engine in my 01 since they only had 4000 miles on them.
After it was running the ses light was still acting like before. The code is a 1316. They have traced every wire on the engine harness for resistance and voltage and they say it's good. They even tried to add some ground wires. The light hardly ever comes on when cold, but after it's warm it will come on when you are accelerating and go off when I let off the pedal. Sometimes when pulling it stays on for 10 miles or so at a time. They have also replaced the potentiometer on the gas pedal, and tried a bunch of sensors off the 2002 truck as well. Also has a new cam sensor. Every time they check the codes it's a 1316, IDM codes detected. If they clear the code within 2 blocks the light comes on again. Now they say they want to replace the engine harness, at about $1000 for just the parts.
I have noticed after the engine replacement that it may have a slight injector knock at idle when warm. If I speed the engine up to 1500 rpm it goes away. These are the new injectors. They have approximately 8000 miles on them now. The truck only has 120000 actual miles on it. Would this injector noise be related to the 1316 code? I have had 3 mechanics and the Ford dealer working on this problem, and nobody can figure it out.
I had it at the mechanic last week to have the codes read, and there it was 1316. He didn't have time to do a buzz test or a cylinder contribution test yet, but I hope to get that done sometime this week. This light just drives me nuts. But I'm more concerned with the noise in the engine. I've talked to some people who have over 300000 miles and haven't touched their engine and never seen a ses light. I had a 99 with a 7.3 for 2 years before this one and never saw the light either. Any advice?

Last edited by dragon71; 03-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You Ford Mechanics DIDN'T run a Buzz Test??

That's the whole purpose to the 1316... It's just a code saying the IDM needs to do a buzz to further resolve the specific problem code that IDM now "sees" as a general one. Somewhere along the line, somebody had to do this. It's really step-one.

Each time the light comes on it's the 1316 that's doing it?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:59 PM

They did it before they replaced the injectors and found 1 bad one. When that didn't fix it they replaced the other 7. After that the engine was replaced and it hasn't been done since. The only code this thing has ever had is the 1316, and it's been checked maybe 8 times since I've owned it. It just keeps coming back each time it's cleared. the truck runs fine except for what I think is the injector knock.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM

But Again,,, the reason to do a Buzz Test is Two Fold.

One, so you can compare sound coming from each injector.

Two, so that the IDM will produce MORE CODES from doing it. Were there additional codes generated After the test would be my question...
Old 03-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Well, the day I was there he was short on people to check it out, so didn't do the buzz test. Most of these shops won't even check it if you are waiting for it and won't tell you what they find when they do get it done, and won't give you the code numbers they find. I sometimes wonder if they are using the right equipment to find the codes. I have a small Actron code reader and every time I hook it up it says there aren't any codes stored. But the scan tools show the 1316.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 AM

I'm afraid the fact your Actron comes back with "No Codes Found" doesn't mean much. It takes a professional scanner to thoroughly query our trucks
Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM

P1316 is usually a loose UVCH.

Pull the valve covers and have a look. Chances are one has backed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.