burning oil and possible coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
burning oil and possible coolant

i bought a 01 with 150k dirt cheap from a friend who just bought a new truck and wanted out symptoms some times when you start it cold it won't smoke at all can idle for 30 mins no smoke drive it down the road and will smoke like a pig esp when you get on it and when you come to a stop it'll still smoke blue for a few looks blue could be a lil white can't tell but when you let it idle right after it'll clear up but then some times you start it cold and it'll smoke a blue isn color soons it starts and when you drive it not smoke as much im dum founded I've had mechanics tell me oil cooler I've had mechanics say turbo seals I've had mechanics say head gaskets I've herd injector seals can anyone help me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruesomegrundel2 View Post
I bought a 01 with 150k dirt cheap from a friend who just bought a new truck and wanted out. Symptoms: some times when you start it cold it won't smoke at all. Can idle for 30 mins, no smoke. Drive it down the road and will smoke like a pig, esp. when you get on it and when you come to a stop it'll still smoke blue for a few. Looks blue. Could be a lil white, can't tell but when you let it idle right after it'll clear up. Some times you start it cold and it'll smoke a blue-ish color. Soon as it starts and when you drive it not smoke as much. I'm dumb founded. I've had mechanics tell me oil cooler. I've had mechanics say turbo seals. I've had mechanics say head gaskets. I've herd injector seals. Can anyone help me out?

Sorry man, had to go through and plug in some punctuation. That was hard to read which made it hard to figure out what you were saying your issue is.

First question, you say you are burning oil. Are you actually losing oil or are you assuming that based on the smoke color?

Second question, is there any noticeable reduction in performance?

Its probably not a headgasket. They rarely fail on these engines. Is there a chip or any sort of tuner? When was the last oil change and what kind of oil was used?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Loses oil has tons of power and it's bone stock
Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

To eliminate injector O-rings pull the fuel filter and check for oil in the bowl. It is more pronounced if the fuel tank is close to empty. Black fuel in the bowl indicates bad injector O-rings. If it looks like this pic you need a set of injector O-rings.

0903132025_zpse8d03f85.jpg Photo by davidcolqui | Photobucket
Old 02-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's actually on empty I'll check that Tomorro/today thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope fuel bowl is crystal clear and my buddy and I found some coolant on the lower rad house so hopefully figured out the coolant loss
Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so the coolant problem is the water pump, me and my buddy got underneath and theres coolant on the hoses and front of the motor, the next day there was a puddle underneath so that problem is solved. we took off the boost tubes and there filled with oil.. turbo seals?? any one think the same and if I'm doing water pump and turbo i was thinking bought doing injectors seals glow plugs and valve cover harnesses all at once good idea or if its not broken don't fix it ? just figured while I'm in there and its all apart
Old 03-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the oil is in the intercooler pipes because the ccv vents into the intake.
now if you pull the downpipe and oil is going out the exhaust then you need a turbo rebuild
Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether Baby View Post
To eliminate injector O-rings pull the fuel filter and check for oil in the bowl. It is more pronounced if the fuel tank is close to empty. Black fuel in the bowl indicates bad injector O-rings. If it looks like this pic you need a set of injector O-rings.

0903132025_zpse8d03f85.jpg Photo by davidcolqui | Photobucket
Not necessarily on the black fuel.

Pull one injector and observe the oring condition. I'm gonna say there are a few that are dry rotted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bought a Gtp38r from guy on here hopefully that fixes the prob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.