Changing Injector cups - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing Injector cups

Gentlemen,
I am taking on the task of changing out the injector cups in my 1999 F350 due to fuel in my coolant. I have read the many posts you guys have discussed this on and got a lot of great info from these. I am new to working on diesels so I am learning a lot. I worked on it about 2.5 hrs last night and got all the injectors out. I removed 7 and 8 first to allow the fuel/oil mix to flow to those cylinders as I read to do. I did remove the oil plug to drain the rails also. I then made up a suction tool to get the fuel mixture out of the cylinders. I got a decent amount out of #7 cylinder but nothing out of any other cylinder. I believe 8 was a top but nothing at all from any other cylinder. Is this normal? I will start to remove the cups and start the install tonight. I just want to be extra careful not to leave any fluid in the cylinders. I also read to turn the engine over by the crank bolt a few times after installing the injectors. Is there any thing else I can do to make certain I don't hydrolock the engine from leaving fluid in the cylinders.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I usually pull the GP's out of any cyl. I pulled inj's from and turn it 2 revolutions by hand then with the starter (lay a rag/sheet over the heads to catch oil) to finnish it what way and also pull the idm fuse so it dont start.

most will say the sucking out and rotating is enough but I like the piece of mind
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do I install the injectors before doing this or does it really matter?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

dont matter, just do enough cleaning till you think you got it all out. It dont really matter how you get r dun just as long and no oil (and in your case fuel, antifreeze, ect) is in of the cylinders and you feel good anout it.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Ok, Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.