7.3l died!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3l died!!!

I am needing some help please. I've got a 2000 7.3l 6 speed and the engine cuts off going down the road for no reason. It didn't start until I changed the fuel pump and filter. Now the reason for the pump change I thought it was bad but turns out it was the fuel bowl heater shorting out. So I unplugged the heater replaced the heater - ecm fuse and everything thing was fine until yesterday while I was driving the engine just died. It did hesitate first though. I turn the key of starts up then dies again. I'm lost. Does anybody have any ideas? Also while that's happening the service engine light comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, getting the trucked scanned might be the quickest way to figure-out what's going on, the SES light comes on for a reason and that's how the system works Unfortunately, it takes a professional scanner to retrieve them and the Genreric OBD-II scanners like the Auto Parts stores use don't do us much good...

Next, there are a couple of "clues" you can use yourself when this happens.

When the heater element shorts and blows that fuse the PCM doesn't run and you can always tell that's happened by the Lack of a WTS light. If the WTS comes on, that fuse is OK, plus, without the PCM the engine can't run At All, not for even a second or two.

Next, on a 2000, watch the Tach Needle as you're cranking it over on the starter. It should rise off the stop a tiny bit, actually showing cranking rpm, to let you know the CPS is doing its job. A bad CPS acts just like you describe. Starts & Runs Great, then "like you shut-off the key" it dies. It cools off some, starts again, runs fine until it happens again. So, get to know how that's supposed to look as you crank it to compare when you're having trouble.

Look out for that stuff in the future also note the fuel level in the tank which can be an indication of pick-up problems there (usually starts happening @ 1/4 tank).
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can get the best cps? What manufacturer is the best?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd go with Ford or International, there have been issues with aftermarket ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.