Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

00 7.3 oil leak?

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  PaDC5 
#1 · (Edited)
00 7.3 oil leak? With picture

Have a small leak on my powerstroke. Not sure where it's coming from. Doesn't seem like oil is effected by it too much. Not sure if it leaks whenever running or driving but seems like after I turn the truck off it drips a few drips and then periodically keeps dripping a little after that. It doesn't leave huge puddles in the driveway over night.

I'm going to attach a picture of the leak. Looks like it drips down in the front on drivers side somewhere and drips onto the front trackbar? I know there is a ton of these about oil leaks but didn't really see anything that applied to my situation. I am a newbie to these trucks coming from a Dodge Cummins.

See less See more
#2 ·
An oil leak on the front of the motor is most typically the LPOP housing. The other option is where the dipstick goes into the oil pan but that is a little further back on on the pass side.

Look at the crankshaft pulley, the LPOP housing is behind it, bolted to the front cover. There is probably oil all over the bottom of that housing. If thats the case, and there isn't much oil on the top of the housing, its best to replace the LPOP.

I did a write up on replacing it on another forum. Here is the link Melling LPOP Install - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Reactions: Twim
#3 · (Edited)
Would this cause a no start whenever motor is cold even if temperature is in 40s? Truck starts right up if plugged in for a little?

There is no smoke of any kind and doesn't seem like the truck has any power loss either. Replaced the GPR already and nothing. Going to test the glow plugs and go from there.

This would kind of make sense tho if it's not picking up oil properly whenever it's cold compared to being warmed up by block heater. Whatever the leak is it isn't major at all. Oil level has barely changed the past week. Never really paid attention to the oil pressure gauge when trying to start either. Never thought that could be the problem. Just assumed gp and/or gpr right off the bat.

#5 ·
I am taking it to a friends garage on Thuraday and putting it on the lift and checking everything out. Hopefully it isn't anything major. Still don't understand why truck won't start unless plugged in tho unless glowplugs are bad or relay wiring is bad. Have new glowplugs already so I am going to test the old ones out first and go from there.

It doesn't seem like the truck leaks whenever running. Just whenever you shut it off.

These trucks are hard to start if the hpop is getting supplied enough oil correct? If that was happening that would be an issue with lpop I'm assuming which is letting the oil bleed back out? The truck runs great and has no hiccups other the being sluggish when cold like any other diesel.

Truck will just crank and crank and smoke white out exhaust not plugged in trying to start. Ever whenever it was in the 50s out. Plugged it in for half an hour and fired right up in a second with no smoke or any other issues.

#6 ·
I think you have two sperate issues the oil leak and the hard start. I am thinking your oil leak is a ft loop cover/crank seal or oil cooler starting to leak. As far as the hard start issue check your how plugs more than likely the problem. Also check your oil level if you leaked out enough oil then that could start a hard start issue also. My bet is you need glow plugs and oil cooler reseal.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Attempted to start truck this morning. It's under 30 out. But cranked for 5-10 secs and no oil pressure showed on gauge and Rpm didn't seem to move either. I just plugged the truck in tho because the battery seemed like it was getting weak since I haven't started it in a few days in this cold weather. Not sure if this means anything or not or if it just sounds glow plug related. I know whenever the truck is plugged in for a little bit it will crank right over quickly and oil pressure comes up whenever it's on

#11 ·
Coming up after a second or two of running is completely normal. Just because your LPOP is operating properly, that does not necessarily rule it out as the source of your leak. Check the housing as well as where the oil cooler mounts on the driver's side of the engine to see where your leak is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.