99 f250 died while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 f250 died while driving

Hey I just bought a 99 f250 7.3 manual transmission,Ive driven alot of these trucks at work but this is my first time owning one. When I bought it the engine sounded great everything seemed fine driving the first two days. Last night I was driving down the express way in 5th gear at about 2k rpm and than the truck started bucking and the tac dropped and i cranked it and cranked it but it wouldnt start back up. I rolled to the shoulder and tried cranking it for a few it eventually started up but it was rough,I drove it about another 100 feet and it died again. I just so happened to have a new fuel filter I bought that day and decided it was worth a try. Took the old filter off it looked pretty much new and also I noticed the canister was full of fuel. I tighted the filter back up and it started good and ran fine. Drove it about another 10 miles with no issues. When I got to my buddys house I decided to put the new filter on just for the hell of it. Drove good with no issues the rest of the way home. Just wondering where to start to diagnosing the problem. (Also early that day the service engine soon light came on, not sure if thats like a maintenance thing that comes on every set miles or the same as check engine) Any advice will be appreciated thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Find out what code got set when the light came on, it might have all the answers for you (Unfortunately, it takes a professional scanner to retrieve them and the Genreric OBD-II scanners like the Auto Parts stores use don't do us much good...)

Another common issue can be the CPS. If it happens again watch the Tach while cranking it on the starter. Notice if you see it rise off the stop, showing cranking rpm, to know if your CPS is working.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Find out what code got set when the light came on, it might have all the answers for you (Unfortunately, it takes a professional scanner to retrieve them and the Genreric OBD-II scanners like the Auto Parts stores use don't do us much good...)

Another common issue can be the CPS. If it happens again watch the Tach while cranking it on the starter. Notice if you see it rise off the stop, showing cranking rpm, to know if your CPS is working.
I just ran the truck for a few mins. It started up and idled fine. The service engine soon light didnt come on this time. Also I noticed that the tach did not rise while cranking but the truck did fire up and ran seemingly fine. I crawled under there and unplugged the cps wire and put it back in snug not sure if that made any difference though.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:55 AM

You might have to look more closely, on a '99 if the tach didn't "rise" a bit it means there's no signal from the CPS and the PCM won't fire the injectors because it doesn't "see" the engine turning over at least 100rpm. CPS issues are usually about Heat, as a bad one warms up it craps out. A little cooling and it's often good-to-go for some time (sometimes mins-hrs-days, sometimes weeks...)

No matter when it happened, if the SES light came on, I would want to know why?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
You might have to look more closely, on a '99 if the tach didn't "rise" a bit it means there's no signal from the CPS and the PCM won't fire the injectors because it doesn't "see" the engine turning over at least 100rpm. CPS issues are usually about Heat, as a bad one warms up it craps out. A little cooling and it's often good-to-go for some time (sometimes mins-hrs-days, sometimes weeks...)

No matter when it happened, if the SES light came on, I would want to know why?
Just took my daughter to the park and the truck left me on the side of the road again lol. No service lights on, and notaced that my blinkers and hazards stoped working too lol. Is their any way to read the codes if the light isnt on? If not is it just a good bet to just put a new cps in anyways?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Now the trucks been sitting for about 30-40 mins and I went to fire it up and it started great and motor sounds and feels great but im sure my issues gonna happen again
Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 AM

A new CPS might be worth a try and really, since Everybody should carry a spare in their glovebox anyway, even if it didn't help you'd have the old one as your spare. They're cheap enough...

Go to Ford though, the aftermarket ones have their own issues
Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put a new cps in today drove it for like 30 mins everything seems good so far,also idle seems smoother ill keep informed if that was the problem thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.