2003 7.3 - No power after warm-up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 7.3 - No power after warm-up

Have 2003, 7.3 E350 with 140K miles. Last fall the truck starting having problems where the engine would completely lose power after warm-up. After warm-up, the truck will run OK if you didn’t give it more than 10% throttle. But, if you try to accelerate more, the throttle response goes completely flat, white smoke pours out the exhaust, the engine gets really “clattery” noisy at idle, and won’t even rev up with the truck in neutral. Turning the engine off for a few minutes then restarting allows me to get back home if I don’t try to accelerate too much. To date I have changed oil and filter, replaced the cam position sensor, exhaust back pressure sensor, rebuilt the fuel filter canister, replaced fuel filter, and replaced the fuel pump. (Two years ago I replaced the HPOP and IPR because of an oil leak in the pump. About 3 years ago I replaced the IDM with a rebuilt unit.)

Just bought a AE scanner and after resetting the trouble codes that I created in the past by disconnecting various sensors, there are no error codes being generated when the problems exists. All self-tests pass except for one, cyl 4 high/low failure. However, cylinder 4 sounds fine in the buzz test. If I data log various sensors, nothing seem out of ordinary (injector oil pressure is approx 575 psi at idle and follows throttle position sensor to 2800 psi if I rev the engine. (IOP duty cycle looks fine.) Exhaust back pressure looks fine. The only thing that looks like a problem is the fuel injector pulse width. The AE range for this pulse width is 0 – 58 msec. My reading seems to be around 0.28 msec. This reading changes slightly with engine rpm, but not more than 0.05 msec around that value. However, no matter what sensors I look at, none seem to change when the problem happens. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by Caveman807; 02-22-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Unplug the ICP sensor and see if there is any oil in the connector
Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did check for oil in the ICP sensor early on in my investigation. No oil. After getting AE, I monitored the ICP and the ICP duty cycle. I thought that if the ICP sensor was giving faulty reading the ICP and duty cycle would be way off. However, they seen to track each other the way I would expect them to. One thing that is strange is that the engine gets very noisy when it is in it's fault condition. I would think that would be caused by noise in the injectors which could be a problem with the ICP. However, when the fault condition occurs, and I'm sitting on the side of the road with the engine idling but still noisy, the ICP is the same as when when the engine is idling when not in its fault condition.

I also thought if the engine was fuel starved the injector could get noisy because there was no fuel in the injectors when they activate. That was the reason that I rebuild the fuel filter canister, including the fuel pressure regulator valve. That did not fix the problem so I installed a new fuel pump which did not fix the problem. (One thing with fuel side of things is that there is a loud gurgling sound when I initially turn on the key and waiting for the glow plugs to warm up. I assume that is the sound of fuel going thru the fuel pressure control valve and back to the tank. I know that the sound was there before the problem started but I am not sure it was there when I bought the truck three years ago.)

The only new piece of info is that yesterday when I was test driving the truck with AE connected, I started to data log a group of sensors. When I hit record, the AE system stopped showing any sensor values. When I reinitialized everything, there was an error code set in the ECM which indicated that the IDM had internal errors. At the time the ECM recorded the fault, the engine was not in its fault condition and previously there had been no ECM errors. However, I am going to pull the IDM and open it up to see if possible has water inside. I did read where, at one time, there as an issue with water getting inside the IDM. But I don't see how a problem with the IDM could cause a noisy engine.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM

Was the IDM code P1316?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, the error code was P1316.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Sounds like you have a UVCH coming loose on one side.

Pull the valve covers on both sides. You will probably find that one or both of the UVCH plugs looks something like this:

You will want to push the plug all the way in until it is seated. To keep it from coming unplugged again, you will need 2 quarters. Grind each one down to the top of George Washington's head and insert it under the clip. When done, it should look like this:

Old 02-25-2014, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've heard about problems with that wiring harness. Since it will be a real pain to get the valve covers off my "van" to do a quick check, do you think that a bad connection could cause the noisy engine when I lose power? Also, I don't get the P1316 error every time the the engine loses power. I've only seen it once. Any thoughts?

If I do go ahead and pull the valve covers I'm thinking I might as well buy new harnesses and put them in while the covers are off. How hard is it to disconnect the harness from the injectors and glow plugs?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:17 PM

In a van? Its not going to be fun. On the plus side the one bolt on each valve cover that is a pain to get to in the trucks will be a breeze in the van. I imagine you will have to do most of the work from the doghouse end of the motor. It shouldn't be to terrible.

Edit: Yes, this would cause some strange noises when it loses power.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only thing easy to get to on the van is the turbo. When I replaced HPOP and IPR, a first time job that would have probably taken 6-8 hrs on a F Series, took me almost 16 hrs on the E Series. Had to use mirrors and/or feel for most of work because most of the things you you had to remove you couldn't get to or see. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in 10 hrs, but would probably only take 5 hrs on a truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.