Another glow plug problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another glow plug problem

Here's the problem, I can't start the truck when it's cold unless it's plugged in. The code I am getting is a p0380 circuit A fault. The GPCM is recieving power but not sending power, and I have replaced it with a new one and the same thing is happening. I pulled the chip to see if that could be it and it gave me a GP 8 circuit fault so I pulled the valve cover and found that one to be unplugged. Plugged it all back together put the chip back in and it's throwing the p0380 code again. I am at a loss now. Any help would be good, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM

Now with the chip back out and cycling the truck a few times no codes are being thrown. Has anyone heard of faulty tuning not allowing the GP to activate?
Old 02-21-2014, 01:42 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I haven't but, it IS the PCM that controls the GPs so, it's possible that either the circuit in the PCM that's supposed to activate the plugs is either bad OR the PCM doesn't "know" it's cold enough to use them because of a bad sensor (EOT) OR you just have corroded connectors into the Module.

I don't know a lot about these things but, if I'm not mistaken, pin 8 in the Green plug should be supplied with a Path to Ground, through the PCM to activate that module. Maybe check to see if that's happening to know if the PCM is doing it's job...
Old 02-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Well I am going to try waiting untill tomorrow morning and pull the chip and try to start it, if she fires right up I'll know that's probably it. Wonder if it's tuned for a standard truck and not Cali emissions so it's not functioning properly.

We checked the EOT with the scanner and it was reading properly and come up and down with the truck running and off and what not, I had the same thought. It's never that simple for me haha
Old 02-28-2014, 05:05 AM

Well its been narrowed down to the chip. Pulled it before I went on duty wednesday morning and let the truck sit until just this morning. It was 12 with a wind chill of -8 and she started up without being plugged in. So I'll be calling no limit today to figure out about getting the chip re programmed.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:57 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Have you thought about the "Led Mod"? In this weather, when you Really need a working GP system, it's nice to have. Once or twice this Winter I have turned the key to let the plugs do their job and noticed my Led didn't come-on. I recycled the key and it then did (I'll be replacing the GPR this Spring). But, it was Great to know exactly what they system was doing and interesting to watch the GPs come On/Off from inside the cab.

Worth doing if you're having trouble, no "guessing" if they're working or not at Any time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.