1999 F250 XL CC LB Suddenly Died, Won't Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 F250 XL CC LB Suddenly Died, Won't Start

Hey guys, I guess it is my turn to ask for help. I started my truck outside and let it warm up for about 5 minutes in 20 sunny winter weather. Pulled out of my driveway and drove it about 200 feet when it suddenly died as if someone turned the key off. It will still crank over, but won't fire.

Things done:
1. Checked that there was fuel in the fuel bowl and it is refilling.
2. Swapped out CPS, still won't start.
3. Checked to see if the ICP sensor was bad, no oil leaking through and wiring harness was clean.
4. Bought A.E. and ran it through, at first it had both the CPS and ICP trouble codes. Cleared the codes and it still won't start, but the codes haven't come back.
5. Did injector test and they all passed.
6. Found out I was a couple quarts low on oil (synthetic 0w40), filled thinking may it wasn't pushing enough pressure. Still no start.
7. Have two yellow top gel batteries, low voltage from cranking multiple times, trickle charged back up, still no start.
8. Checked glow plug relay (new as of five months ago) its getting power, and pushing power when key is turned on.
9. Drank some tequila. Still didn't start.
10. WTS does come on.

If you master tech's could help throw me some wisdom, I would appreciate it. This is my work truck, so it is beginning to be a bigger problem every day. I am new to diesel's, but grew up on gas engines, so I at least know the terms.

Please help. Thanks!

Travis

Last edited by astwj3; 02-20-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First of all, are you showing RPMs on the tach when cranking?

Secondly, do you show oil pressure on the dash gauge when cranking?

Third, monitor Injection Control Pressure and ICP duty cycle while cranking. Post results.

Fourth, pull the plug in the top of the HPOP reservoir. Oil should be about 1" from the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to duck fan For This Useful Post:
astwj3 (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

11. Neither the oil pressure or tach gauges are moving while cranking
12. ICP is good with no oil blow through in the electric connector either.
13. Oil was low, filled the engine and the reservoir was almost empty. Filled, but still no start.
I am assuming at this point I lost the HPOP.

thoughts?

Thanks again guys for the advice.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

0 on Injector control pressure, up to 65‰ on duty cycle, .21 on Injector control pressure volts.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:23 AM

If its showing no movement on the tach when cranking, that points to CPS. You said you changed it. Did you use a new one?

The 0 ICP reading is a little weird too. These HPOPs rarely fail. I've had it happen before but its not very common at all.

You said the reservoir was low and that you topped it off. After cranking, did you check the reservoir again? Keep in mind, about an inch from the top is normal.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did use a brand new one when I switched it out. The previous one had only been in about six months as well. This is a work truck, so it doesn't get a lot of miles, just hard ones. I did fill the reservoir and tried cranking it again and it didn't go down. Since this is the work truck, I am throwing a hail mary and am replacing the HPOP and IPR valve at once, since it's costing me money having it down. If it still won't work, then I guess that points to the wiring or PCM, but I am hoping it isn't. I guess I could poop in one hand and hope in the other, but I had to do something.

Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it. These forums have really educated me and continue to do so.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 AM

Let us know if that ends up solving your problem.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will thanks. I am beginning to build my shop this summer on my 5 acre farmstead. If I can get it up and finished by winter, the next project of mine is to get a donor vehicle and do a frame off of my work truck, rather than dumping 60K on a new powerstroke. I figure I can spend 1/3 of that and build what I want that would be bullet proof. My dad and I built muscle cars before, but I am new to diesel's but they are intriguing to me, although a little frustrating. But I like building things and it is a way to talk my wife into letting me stay in the shop a little longer.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update.

Replacing the previous oil pump, found out it was a remanufactured one, and that when they replaced it (North slope truck), they stripped out the timing cover with the pump mounting bolts. It would also explain why the drive gear bolt seemed really tight on therewith could have burned up the pump prematurely. All assumptions. Yeah me!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

Engine is back together, everything is all topped off. Still wont start. Ohm tested teh valve cover wiring harness and both sides showed .5-6 ohms. At this point I can only assume to swap out the ICM since there is no test for it? The engine is showing no codes on AE. Buzz tested sounded on all injectors.

Sorry the update took so long, was out of state for 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
died suddenly, no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.