Need help please! Cant figure out were this oil is coming from - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help please! Cant figure out were this oil is coming from

Need help please! I am at a loss to were this engine is leaking from.

I have a 2000 7.3 f250 and noticed today after picking up the kids from school that there are engine oil spots on the drive way. After looking under the i noticed that there was oil dripping off of the front drive shaft, i opened up the hood and notices that there is spray up on the turbo pipes and around the firewall. see pics.
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09bce208.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...psb5482c5d.jpg

After letting the engine cool some I looked up under the front of the engine and there is oil around the lower water pump housing. hopefully these pictures turn out okay.

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7317fd7c.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...psbb3ccf05.jpg
http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/...psa1933e86.jpg
I have searched and searched for where this oil leak is coming from but cant seem to find it.
I do know that I have a leak in the fuel system at the fuel bowl which i am waiting on parts for.
If anyone has any pointers on were i can look please let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After looking around more it is running down the exhaust pipe from what I can se from under the truck it looks like it starts at the rear of the head. The truck does run and dosent seem to be smoking from the tail pipe. Also checked for blow by on the fill tube and it does have some smoke but it's constant. And not puffing like I think blow by would. Could this be turbo related or just a blown valve cover gasket. ???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Wow, I didn't look at all the pics but I wouldn't drive it. It almost looks like it has something to do with the High Pressure Oil System. Ether the two lines coming from the HPOP or a fitting in the head. For it to spray all over I would start there.

That is a big enough of a leak that you should be able to see it. I would start by cleaning off the engine bay. Use something like oil eater that you can get at your local auto part store. Spray it down and hose it off, keep water off the electronics. Then let it dry, stick a rag and mop up the water under the HPOP and in the valley. Clean it out all the way back to the little hole in the back of the valley where it drains. Then once it is dry and clean start it up and start looking. That type of leak you should be able to find it.

Don't drive it. If the exhaust is hot and it gets sprayed down in oil you could have a real bad fire on your hands.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks didn't even think about the hpop. I guess I get to wash the engine down tonight so that it's good and dry for the morning. I assume that there are external lines for the hpop. If so do they go into the back of the heads?

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

Yes it is right under the fuel bowl. There are two lines that run to each head. It could also be any of the fittings in the head.

I would start with the clean up then look for the leak. You got to be able to see that leak!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:44 PM

Other places could be the turbo pedestal, or the Exhaust back pressure valve in the base of the turbo. If it is the turbo, usually oil comes out the tail pipe or drains out at the connection between the exhaust and the vband that holds it to the turbo. You can also look at the uppipes on the back of the motor and see if it is leaking between the manifolds and uppipes. Most likely not on the last one. With the spray it just looks like it could be a HPOP line...

Just get it cleaned up and start searching.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

She is as clean as I can get her now have to wait for daylight. Thanks for the info will post back tomorrow with what I find

Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM

ya id be leaning towards the hpo hoses/fittings.

if it the pedestal/actuator leaking, oil usually just runs down the back.
since its sprayed everywhere makes me believe its the hpop lines or fittings.

on occasion the valve cover bolts come loose, but thats a long shot...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok so I am stumped cleaned the engine last nitlgt this morning ran it for a bit and couldn't find a leak per say one of the high pressure house on the passanger side is damp. Soaked up what seemed like a quart of oil in the valley. Added 3/4 of a gallon of oil and pressure washed the engine and it's dry with the exception of some diesel comming from a rubber line. I did try to remove the quick disconect line but didn't have a tool for it. So I am wondering if I have bad o ring on that line. I really would have thought to see more oil still.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 PM

You could have a bad oring. But it is best to try to nail it down before you start changing stuff out. Let it run and feel down below the HPOP and pull the covers off the HPOP lines and feel around the best you can. Then the worst case, you start stuffing paper towels everywhere and drive around a bit. Then pull each towel and look for oil.

You ought to just order one of those kits from Riffraff Diesel, he has all the orings for the HPOP and fuel bowl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.