One year of problem, did I find the solution? Experienced Tech! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One year of problem, did I find the solution? Experienced Tech!

I have been trying to figure out what has been making my truck act up when it rains or less often snows. Normally doesn’t die out (unless not warmed up) but loses ALL power, really loud bogging down, truck shakes, hot egt’s even at idle/neutral, if I floor it barely does anything but shake more and louder, at higher rpms its not as bad but still couldn’t even maintain speed with an empty truck.

Definitely a moisture created electrical problem since it doesn’t happen as often when it is cold snowing (less moisture in the cold air then raining). I live in the Colorado Desert so rain isn’t super common. When it rains the stalling is intermittent. Sometimes stopping with or without shutting down fixes problem for a short or long period of time. I think this is a good clue because if not moving it will get better but moving in the rain is the worst.

Started a year ago. First thing changed is cps. Then icp sensor (even though I knew I could check it by unplugging but found mine leaking), went to a mechanic seemed pretty honest ohmed out my uvch and found possible change in left bank (not much on codes side/don’t remember 8 months ago) so I ordered harness and changed. I have looked for wires that had a cut or open but some are tough to get to. Looked under both sides inside under dashes for moisture couldn’t find any. Not wiper dependent. Replaced cps sensor second time. This morning while cold and new snow it was doing it, looked at the idm through crack and there was snow on it. So decided to take a look, was going with plan to remove fender but bolt up front required removal of headlight then researched everyone else from bottom and mine full of snow, ice, dirt so held off. During the process I realized I had cowl to hood sealer strip missing, immediately ordered a new one. I also decided to remove the cowl plastic strip and check the drain and wiring. Looked fine. Pulled fuel heater harness and looked like fuel was in there, fuel housing been leaking. To be honest the last bunch of afe fuel filters I ordered suck I am blaming the design for a leaking o ring and need to figure out which brand to try next. So next time it does it I will have the screw driver to pry that harness off and see if there is a change, but I don’t see how that would be it because rain shouldn’t add much moisture down inside there, and the circuit shouldn’t be fired up when running, so I would think the signs of that would be it just dies and during starts.

I wonder if it could have anything to do with me doing that mod that cuts open a hole behind corner of grill for air intake…

My plan from here is to install the right hand uvch when it arrives while checking more wiring. Or should I just wait for that gasket seal on the hood which is a couple days later? Go ahead and work on keeping moisture from entering the area with idm? Replace windshield (it’s the original)? Order the windshield tomorrow? GEM Module? How should I go about this?? I don’t mind paying a shop a lot of money I just live couple hours away and whats the chances of it doing it with guy in car? Maybe I could drive up when it rains. Could be really long drive with stalling every five minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

get motorcraft/int'l uvch only.

racor fuel filters are oem and 17 bucks apiece.
you just need the oem cap.

i have never had one leak. and they are pretty much as good as they get.

i might consider checking the idm, it is located uner the drivers side fender, sometimes moisture can get in its connections as well.

have you scanned for any codes either.

what cps are you using? the borg warner cps are known to cause stalling from wipers...
Old 02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought motorcraft uvch harness and gasket/plug.

I was going to pull the wheel well out to look at it from bottom, and maybe build a cover on top. It looked like maybe that piece of insulation that goes over the top had moved back and down. Not sure. It started getting cold and dark but maybe I will try tomorrow morning.

Both cps were international I believe. I checked the one I pulled that I put in a bit ago and dark grey not sure about the latest. If it was cps then why only rain?? Maybe the plug/harness.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

Looks like you've done a lot. I think you need to invest in an AE scanner and look for abnormalities next time it rains or you're going to be throwing parts at it for a long time.

My first thought is IDM and the harnesses in between. The main engine harness does bolt on just above the driver's side valve cover... right in line with the hole you made in the grill but it would take a lot of moisture to affect it. Undo the 10mm bolt in the harness and open it up to check it out for corrossion. It might even be loose. Some dielectric grease in that harness won't hurt it.

Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity so rain water coming down off the roof and windshield will really only cause corrossion which will be a problem when it's not raining too. Water full of minerals (especially salt) from the road will conduct electricity but even then it takes voltage to make it through. Chances are that it has to do with injector power wiring which runs at a higher voltage.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I should buy this???
AutoEnginuity Total Ford Bundle

The terminator round scan gauge won't cut it if I am correct, always wanted one of those anyways.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

it looks like the right one. i've been holding off on getting a good scanner until i really need one.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM

Are the international uvch any cheaper than the ford part?
Do you have a part # for the uvch?
Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
get motorcraft/int'l uvch only.

racor fuel filters are oem and 17 bucks apiece.
you just need the oem cap.

i have never had one leak. and they are pretty much as good as they get.

i might consider checking the idm, it is located uner the drivers side fender, sometimes moisture can get in its connections as well.

have you scanned for any codes either.

what cps are you using? the borg warner cps are known to cause stalling from wipers...
Old 05-20-2014, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't have a part number. I just ordered from RiffRaff I know his stuff is OEM.

I found the problem after some time. It was a wire between the idm and that 42 pin connector above the driver valve cover. It was rubbing and eventually wore it down to copper contacting the engine. Almost bought a new engine harness good thing I didn't those are 800 for my truck. I am surprised others haven't gotten this problem since that chunk of wire just rests on the valve cover.

Cheers.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:28 AM

Post a pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.