oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil leak

Hey guys. I am new here and I just bought a 2002 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab Short Box with 114,000 miles on it. I noticed it seems to leak a little oil right below the fuel filter on the intake. Can anyone tell me what could be leaking in that area and how to fix it. I am 25 and have been working on gas motors since I was 13 with my dad so I am mechanically able to do the work and also my dad was a diesel mechanic working on Cat motors many years ago so he has knowledge about diesel motors but he seen this Powerstroke and was like "that's a new animal to me son, too many electronics". Thanks for any help guys.

Last edited by pro99line; 01-05-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 04:30 PM

Ok I found the leak. Apparently when someone worked on the truck they did not get the o ring seated properly on one of the fittings on the high pressure oil pump. It is hanging about half way out.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Got lucky there didja? Hey make sure your oil filter is on nice and tight. For some reason every now and then mine likes to work it's way loose. I get it tight to the recommended "tightness" every time and put the recommended swath of oil on the seal.......must be all the vibration I don't know?!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:43 AM

Very lucky and very happy that is all it was.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
I know i got scared to death when I saw the little oil spots under my truck. I breathed the biggest sigh of relieft when I found it was just another slightly loose filter.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

the o ring on the quick connect fitting you ended up finding is an extrememly common 7.3 oil leak. it was a bad design to seal with the pressure that pump puts out, and those o rings blow relativley regularly. trick to fixing it is get the kit from ford, it will be three pink o rings and some locktite. make sure when you replace them not to over torque the fitting, torque spec i beleive is only like 12 foot pounds, although the instructions in the parts package have the exact spec. the third o ring is for the 18mm plug on the back of the pump. there is a special tool for releasing the lines from the fitting, and without it you need to be very carefull not to damage the line or it will leak.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:13 PM

Hey thanks mschn99. I am not going to be the one fixing it because I seen it needed a special tool. We have a friend that has worked for Robinson Brothers Ford Licoln Mercury as a mechanic for 17 years and he will be the one fixing it for me. I really appreciate the advice. This guy is not a diesel tech but they have one in the shop and I am sure he will have this tool. I really appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

anytime, it is probably a wise choice to have a dealer do it anyway as they will leak again if it isnt done right, plus the ford repair will pack a 12/12 warranty if that guy messes it up
Old 01-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

leak...

hey good deal proline, but our dealer in our town pretty much won't touch anything deisel becuase they really dont have any techs qualified. how ever something i want to bring up as for as me being a lube tech and see a lot of, some may or may not know that on the backside of the intake there is a drain hole for any fluids. SO! if you see oil dripping down the back side of the motor dont jump to conclusions. always start high and towards the front, as oil will leak to the intake and run towards the rear, and drip down the back of the motor making it look like a rear main, heads, intake, high pressure seal to turbo are leaking and so on....... investigate first!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 01:23 PM

Well I had my friend order me the Ford part to remove the lines. $7.49. I bought the o-ring kit and started today replacing them. 2 hours later it is done and no more leaks. As stated I have been working on cars for around 15 years and my dad for over 35 years so I am sure it is done right. Before the oil coming out was a steady stream on the front fitting. Maybe I am crazy but now the truck seems to idle a little smother and actually seems to have a little more get up and go especially when going uphill. Maybe it's true or maybe I am just glad to finally have it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.