01 Excursion - PCM & Injector Harness Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Odindag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 Excursion - PCM & Injector Harness Issues

I am writing this post in hopes that it helps others avoid the drama I have had over the last couple of weeks. I want to start by saying that it is due to this forum that I was able to remedy my issues and save a ton of money.
A couple of weeks ago the wife had our 2001 Excursion 7.3 out and about. She said it started running the service engine soon light came on so she brought it home. This truck is a secondary vehicle and has 109k miles on it.

I checked the codes on my Edge CTS tuner. It was programed to one level above stock. It showed me P1000, P0603 and P1316. About a year or so ago I had some mice chew up some wires and my mechanic had to rewire a few things. We had major issues with the engine running right then. Given these codes and what I learned about them I took the truck to the shop.

The first thing I should have done (but didn’t) was to set the programming back to stock. My mechanic is good and I trust him, but he works very systematically. He read the codes and said that I needed a new PCM which would be about $1500 and that I may need a new IDM more $$. He was saying it could be about $3000+ when it was all done. He did a check on the PCM wiring and it all showed good. He also told me that he was showing a problem with cylinder #7. He knows that I do some DIY so he told me to do some research on a used PCM etc and that I could put it in or he could. He wanted to resolve the PCM issue before looking any further. I understand the logic but it could have been costly.

I told him from my research that the Edge tuner could be the issue and to set it back to stock. He did this, the codes cleared and the truck ran fine. I picked the truck up and was very happy. It cost me about $300 in labor but I thought I was a little dumb for not setting it back to stock but it was still cheaper than $3000.

The next day when I went to take the truck out, the service engine soon light kicked back on and it was running rough. I again set it the programming back to stock (I had not changed it since the shop). The rough engine problem (not hitting all cylinders) continued. Now frustrated as ever I dove back in to the research on code P1316. For reference codes P1000 and P1260 and P1316 were all showing. From what I read the P1000 was a systems check that would go away and the P1260 was a PATS anti theft alert. I wasn’t too worried about the P1000 or 1260 at this point. The engine running rough seemed to me to be more about the P1316.

Everything I could read on the forums kept pointing to the wire harness under the valve cover being loose which is common on 2001 & earlier modes of the F series trucks with the 7.3. I was concerned that since only one cylinder showed up on the codes from the mechanic that the wire harness wouldn’t be the problem ( I would expect the whole odd side of the engine to be a problem).

Facing having to get the truck towed and figuring I had nothing to lose, I focused on the odd side of the engine and used “fix for a quarter video” referenced on the forum.

I won’t lie. I’m fairly mechanical but getting all the bolts off the valve cover was a pain. You need to use a variety of wrenches and remove the intercooler tube etc. It took me several hours to get it all figured out. That may be just me being less of a mechanic than I would like to think but some of those bolts are in tight spaces. I used a few different wrenches to include box end, deep well sockets, flex joint ratchets and a couple of different length ratchet wrenches.

Long story short, the wire harness was loose and I put the cut quarter in the harness clip and bolted it all back up (much quicker than taking it apart). I fired it up and the truck runs great!!
The timing was perfect. The next day we were going skiing and our area (DC) was expecting 6-9” of snow (we got 7.5”) I was almost going to have to rely on my buddies minivan to get the family to the slopes but the Excursion made the trip.

Over the couple of weeks this took to resolve, I was seriously contemplating getting a new truck. I saw a very clean 2001 X go for $26, 500 on eBay recently and I thought maybe the time is right.

I am very glad my truck is back to its old self. I’m very disappointed in the Edge CTS tuner (which now won’t even turn on). Everything I have read and in talking to Jody from DP Tuner, the Edge CTS is known to cause issues with the Ford PCMs. Jody was a big help on email when I thought I needed a new PCM and I will now consider doing a tune through him.

I know this was long and some of you probably are shaking your head that I spent $300 at the shop etc etc but this ended up being a great example of being able to do some research and do a fix on your own without spending a ton of money.

I would like at least to user my Edge tuner as a gauge pod but it won't even turn on. Any suggestions on this are appreciated.

I would like to thank the users of this forum as well as the technician who made the fix for a quarter video.

My next big decision is whether to put Recon LED cab lights on the X or not....

I hope this helps someone out in the future.
wvrrcarknocker likes this.

Last edited by Odindag; 01-22-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Odindag For This Useful Post:
Solid98 (01-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thank you for coming back to report on the resolution to your problem. It seems people come here for advise on problems but never come back with their solutions.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Happy to share my experiences. I just ordered a new set of Warn hubs 38826 to replace my not so automatic Ford factory hubs. I couldn't find in the owner's manual where pliers would be needed to activate my hubs!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the solution. Im going through the same thing myself right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.