Lots of White smoke on start up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Prew32
Lots of White smoke on start up

So since it has been getting cold i have been getting an excessive amount of white smoke on start up. i have read all the posts on this common problem and I was able to test my GP relay and my gp's today and came up with these numbers-

with the key on relay was 11.41 on hot side and 11.21 on gp side and for the glow plugs 5 were .6, 2 bounced back and forth between .5 and .6 and the last one bounced back and forth between .4 and .5

I have read a couple different threads that say that the min should be .6 and a few others that say .8 should be the min with a max of 2. should mine be ok or should they be replaced??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 PM

To be honest, and I'm no expert, I'd say they're fine. I know a lot of guys with 7.3's including mine that have some white smoke on start up when it's cold. How excessive is an excessive amount? Like enough to smoke out an intersection if you were driving?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

I think anything less than 2 ohms is acceptable. Less than one is perfect... I think mine all tested at 1.4 new.

I think that having the ebpv unplugged makes a difference too. I had mine plugged in last winter and don't remember it chugging smoke like it has been this season. I'm thinking that hot air being held in would help with cold ignition.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_21 View Post
To be honest, and I'm no expert, I'd say they're fine. I know a lot of guys with 7.3's including mine that have some white smoke on start up when it's cold. How excessive is an excessive amount? Like enough to smoke out an intersection if you were driving?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
ya plenty of smoke to smoke out an intersection. I live in a residential neighborhood and I dread every cold start cuz it just about leaves the entire Street in a cloud of white smoke
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
I think anything less than 2 ohms is acceptable. Less than one is perfect... I think mine all tested at 1.4 new.

I think that having the ebpv unplugged makes a difference too. I had mine plugged in last winter and don't remember it chugging smoke like it has been this season. I'm thinking that hot air being held in would help with cold ignition.
Ya you are right about the ebpv, I have a high idle setting that shuts the valve and it stops the white smoke if I kick it into that setting but recently the valve had been getting stuck shut when I start driving so I stopped using it. Also I'm getting ready to delete the ebpv soon so that won't be an option for very much longer
Old 01-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Nature of the beast... set your Ebrake ( make sure the dash light comes on) and the AIH will activate and it will kill a lot of the smoke. That's actually the exact purpose of the AIH, it doesn't help starting.

Mine smokes like this.... has since I've owned it ( 3 winters) the colder it is, the worse it is, this is at -32*C after running for less than a minute, itll smoke for about 10 on high idle.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM
Banned

If you have power at your house you can plug the block heater in at night. Your truck and your neighbours will love you for it.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

My truck will smoke like that plugged in or not.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
My truck will smoke like that plugged in or not.
Are you sure the block heater works? The engine should feel warm all around after a night plugged in. Mine smokes out my neighbours when it's freezing out but with the block heater there is no smoke and a lot less noise.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Come on over to Northern Ontario ( not Stratford I'm working out of the area for the winter) where temps regularly dip below -30 before the wind chill.

Everything on my truck works just fine lol. It's just how it works when it's cold like I said before, setting the ebrake will allow the AIH to activate which was designed for exactly this purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to schlutzer For This Useful Post:
Gumbled (02-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.