Serious Fuel PSI Issues (not the normal newby problems) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serious Fuel PSI Issues (not the normal newby problems)

Fellas....

I am having some serious fuel pressure issues and was wondering if someone could throw me a life line before I have a mental meltdown. Ive got an 00 with 240K on the clock, stock injectors, a few bolt ons, and a TS chip. Ive already dropped the tank and checked for a plugged screen (it was fine), just replaced original fuel pump with a Bosch (twice), rebulit fuel bowl, changed filter, installed Riffraff regualted return with the fuel rail cross over (using the 61-65psi spring), pulled and resealed injectors with good quality Allaint O rings, injectors all pass buzz test, and on and on all in trying to reslove my fuel pressure issue...have I missed something? At idle im running about 60psi and at WOT under load I can drop it below 20psi (regardless of chip position)The truck has half the power it used to and is progressively getting worse. One thing I have noticed is with key on/engine off once the fuel pump cylces off pressure drops off fast...is this normal? Shouldnt pressure somewhat hold steady after pump cycles off? There is no evidence of any leaks and no smell of fuel...im beginning to wonder if somehow im sucking air between the tank and pump? Please help...im fresh out of ideas!

Thanks

Dennis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm kinda confused. What do you have a fuel crossover kit or a regulated return? If you have a line that runs from each head and you retain the stock fuel pressure regulator with a different spring, you have a crossover kit. If you have a aftermarket regulator and fuel lines running to the front of the heads then return from the back to the regulator you have a regulated return system. If it is the crossover kit, pull the stock regulator apart and make sure you don't have any junk in there causing you to lose fuel pressure. Also you can check the mixing chamber on your pickup( it's the white part on you fuel pick up) it has a couple of screens inside.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM

air can be pulled from the "feed" line from, tank to pump. Get rid of it and install 3/8 line, and double up the clamps. Also, the fuel pressure drop is completely normal...
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbluke55 View Post
I'm kinda confused. What do you have a fuel crossover kit or a regulated return? If you have a line that runs from each head and you retain the stock fuel pressure regulator with a different spring, you have a crossover kit. If you have a aftermarket regulator and fuel lines running to the front of the heads then return from the back to the regulator you have a regulated return system. If it is the crossover kit, pull the stock regulator apart and make sure you don't have any junk in there causing you to lose fuel pressure. Also you can check the mixing chamber on your pickup( it's the white part on you fuel pick up) it has a couple of screens inside.

I have the "fuel rail crossover" kit from Riffraff listed under their "regulated return system" section for 7.3's Fuel Rail Crossover? (FRx) - Riffraff Diesel Performance It comes with 3 different springs to adjust fuel preesure, im running the middle spring (gold) which is supposed to be rated at 61-65 psi. As far as the mixing chamber, ive already had the tank down and the pickup out. Its been a while but as I remember the screen at the bottom of the pickup had a little debris but nothing close to what ive heard people describe theve found. I was going to do the mod everyone talks about in the tank and mount an inline spin on filter on the frame but was in a hurry and didnt have time. As I recall the screens in the mixer I believe looked ok as well. Any other ideas? At this point im grasping for straws and welcome any ideas anyone may have.

Thanks!

Dennis

Last edited by 00greenmachine; 01-26-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
air can be pulled from the "feed" line from, tank to pump. Get rid of it and install 3/8 line, and double up the clamps. Also, the fuel pressure drop is completely normal...
That is a good idea and running new rigid line from the tank to the pump will probably be my next step. The only idea I have left is perhaps I have a bad quick connect somewhere on the suction side. As far as the fuel pressure drop...it is NOT normal to drop below 20 psi in which I can do easily when loaded under WOT. I have a drastic reduction in power and have difficulty pulling my loaded car hauler (aprx 6K pounds) up the slightest grades and maintaing 75MPH in OD. It used to smoke like a frieght train on the 100HP setting and now I cant hardly even get a puff even when lugging so im positive it is a fuel issue. As said before, I resealed the injectors and adressed everything I thought could be a possibilty when I had the engine out for the oil pan change.

Keep the ideas coming...I need them!

Thanks

Dennis
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Something else I would like to confirm is...could someone please post how long it takes or how fast psi should drop or not drop with key on engine off after pump cycles?

Another words key on, pump comes on and builds 60+ with engine off, after aprx 6-8 sec pump kicks off then psi drops like a rock. Is it normal for pressure to drop once pump kicks off or shouldnt it hold?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:54 AM

Your pressure should hold longer than a few seconds. If you have no visible leaks I would say your fuel pressure regulator is acting up. Get a rebuild kit for it from dieselorings. Make sure everything is clean and without damage. Guzzlers has a write up in how to rebuild your fuel bowl. Here is the link. http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/fbowl.php

Old 01-27-2014, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I rebuilt the fuel bowl when I had the engine out and resealed the injectors. The factory regulator was replaced when I installed the Riffraff kit for the regulated return. I checked this morning as soon as the pump kicks off the pressure immidiently drops to 0.

Last edited by 00greenmachine; 01-27-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:22 AM

I looked at the instructions for the kit you have installed. It retains the stock fuel pressure regulator plunger witch installs into the fuel bowl and uses a new spring and regulator housing. If you get anything between the plunger and the fuel bowl it will not seal correctly and bleed your pressure to you tank. At idle your fuel pump can keep up with the demands of the engine and leak by to the tank. Under load you are using more fuel and still leaking back to the tank causing you to have no power. I would do steps 4-8 on your installation sheet and make sure you don't have any trash between your plunger and fuel bowl and make sure your plunger does not have any damage. I know you just did all this not to long ago but you could of just got some trash in there recently and all it needs is cleaned. It should only take a little bit to remove and clean and reinstall for piece of mind. Also check to see if you have diesel in the coolant. If you do I would suspect injector cups.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 AM

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conte...structions.pdf

Here is a link to the installation instructions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.