Battery / Alternator Problem ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery / Alternator Problem ?

Three weeks ago, truck would not start so removed both batteries and had tested. Both were bad so I replaced both of them. Truck ran fine for about 3 days, and then battery light came on. Tested it and alternator was putting off 12.7 volts, lower than normal but still enough to crank completely fine. Went to airport and parked truck for 4 days. Got back to it and it wouldn't start so jumped it off and it ran for about 10 mins and cut off. With help of very nice mechanic for Parking Spot in Atlanta, he charged both batteries and tested alternator which was then putting off 7.0 volts, but he charged batteries enough so that I could make it on just battery power to grandmothers house (2 miles away). parked and left it for 2 weeks until I could get back to it with a new alternator. Unplugged batteries and replaced alternator. Charged batteries with small battery charger and tried to crank after about 15 minutes of charging. Would only click when I turned it over and then gauges went crazy flashing and flipping both ways and making all kinds of buzzing and vibrating sounds and would never do anything but clock when I tried to turn it over. Got neighbor to try and jump it off but still would only click when I turned it over. I have heard that a bad alternator can fry a battery. Could this be my problem and the battery's are bad and cannot even hold a charge. I am going to try to get my Dad to test the batteries with his voltimeter but does anyone know anything else or may have had a similar problem? Thanks,
-Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Cynic

Take the batteries to get tested under load. A bad alternator will kill batteries. Driving it around like you have will kill the batt's/Alt. When the batteries weren't fully charged when you replaced the alternator, you might have fried another alternator. They are NOT designed to charge the batteries like that.

If the alternator was putting out 12.7, it is below tolerance and would have tripped the battery light.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Dirk,

I checked the batteries and both were killed by the bad alternator. They were under 2 year free replacement and after that, truck runs fine.
Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.