Wont crank! new batteries, new starter, new nuetral switch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wont crank! new batteries, new starter, new nuetral switch

Been working through my 2002 Excursion 7.3 not starting. Garage kept, 55 degrees in my garage.

Went out last week and truck wouldn't crank, all the lights on the dash came on, no dimming when I turned the key, but no engine cranking. Shifted thru the gears, no crank. Took a different car to work, came home and tried again, started right up and drove around. Next day, same thing, except she never came back to life, would not crank. Swapped starter relay under dash with backup lights relay and replaced the neutral safety switch with a new unit, no crank, but all dash lights look good.

Had the starter tested, it tested ok, but they thought a terminal was about to break off, so I replaced the starter. With the new starter it cranked about 3 rotations, but then got dead battery symptoms (dash lights dimmed, clicking under dash). Load tested batteries, they failed and I replaced both batteries this morning with new group 65's and she turned over quick and fired right up. Success!! Drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes and parked it back in the garage.

Just went out to the X to go to work, and NO CRANK!! Dash lights look good and volt reader in cigarette lighter is showing appropriate readings.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would want to follow the chain-of-events that's supposed to happen when you try to crank. Maybe start in the middle....

You know where the starter relay is, so put you hand on it at roll the Key to start. Do you feel it activate? You should be able tell that the arm inside has moved and tried to energize the Starters Bendix by closing its contacts.

If NOT, it's on the Key side (a connection, NSSW, Ign Sw, like that)

If SO, it's on the Starter side (with the starter replaced, I'd think only wiring is left)

Also, is Fuse #113 OK?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would switch your blower relay(top left) with the starter relay(top right). Check the wire going to your starter from the key( could unplug it and jump it straight the pos on the battery. If all else fails I always Tryed rapidly turning key to rapidly activate the solenoid. The majority of the time that always got my bad starter to go. I'm on my 5th advance auto reman on the 1st warranty. Try banging the duramax out the starter before you try too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It might just have to go to the dealership. I've swapped relays, still won't turn over. I have 12.4V at the starter post connected to the battery, and I get 11.7 at the wire going to the switched terminal at the starter when I turn the key. It still won't turn over. I don't know what else to do at this point. The new starter started the truck once, I can't imagine it's bad after one starting, it wasn't a reman, it was brand new, but not OEM.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 AM

I think you have a bad spot in your wire to the switch terminal on your starter. Try moving your wires around to see if it turns over. Also try jumping the switched terminal to the starter lead to see if it turns over. If it turns over when you jump it, you have a problem with your signal wire.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Whats the best way to jump the terminals, I know the old screwdriver method, but I always end up taking a sparks shower with that method.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 AM

You can go to the parts store and pick up a remote starter button. It's has two leads on it with clips and has a button. hook one to the switched side and the other to the battery. If it turns over it's the wire or relay if it doesn't it's the starter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.