Cps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-28-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cps

How often does a CPS go bad, what are the signs and how hard are they to change i tow a race trailer so i want to try to learn about this before it breaks down at 4:00am on my way home.
post #2 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 01:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine went at around 77K. Besides not running, the most noticable symptom is that while cranking the engine, the tach doesn't register. Actually, I was lucky. Mine went slowly and just started dying at random, but would restart.

It is one of the more simple repairs you'll make. All you need is a 10mm socket wrench. It's on the front of the engine. Disconnect the wire harness, unbolt it and pop the new one in.

Don't go to Ford to buy a new one. Find an International dealer and buy theirs. The difference in price is up to 40% more at Ford.

1996 F-250 XLT Supercab. Black. Edge Evolution tuner, 4" MBRP exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake, Isspro Gauges. "Ol' Black"

2011 F-350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab. Ranch Hand Legend Front & Rear Bumpers. Forest Green

333 - I'm only half bad!
post #3 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 01:56 AM

Here's a good link on the subject:
http://65.121.190.196/mods/cpsframe.html

1996 F-250 XLT Supercab. Black. Edge Evolution tuner, 4" MBRP exhaust, AFE Stage II Intake, Isspro Gauges. "Ol' Black"

2011 F-350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab. Ranch Hand Legend Front & Rear Bumpers. Forest Green

333 - I'm only half bad!
post #4 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 02:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 00powerstrokin
i just bought mine on ebay for 45$ for a factory ford part
post #5 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info ordered one off ebay, just to have, my truck only has 54K so it should last a while from what i have read so far.
Thanks Again.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Who knows smoke maker. Mine surprised me when it went out, and at the worst of times too! On a sunday, on my way to cincy.....luckily I was just 15 miles outside of town and a friend had an extra cps he sold to me and got me home. GREAT idea to carry an extra one on you...

2005 F350 XLT FX4. 2.5" leveling kit, 03 turbo, 4" MBRP Turbo-back, 58v FICM, SCT X4, Irate Diesel coolant filter
post #7 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Talking Cps

Keep your receipt and be shure to file a "Safety claim" with the NHTSA. We have filed enough of these and I have posted the message from there investigator who is researching this. The battle isn't over but were getting attention. Who knows, we all might be getting new cam sensors in the mail!!!

The Ex -box. Total RSD system. See what happens when you let attorneys run your Country!!!! There's nothing wrong with a Democratic society, we just need to get rid of Democrats. 2001 Excursion. 2003 Cobra Terminator all pumped up. Now this is fuuuuuun.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
That'd be nice, because I still don't have an extra one sitting in my glove compartment like I should...

2005 F350 XLT FX4. 2.5" leveling kit, 03 turbo, 4" MBRP Turbo-back, 58v FICM, SCT X4, Irate Diesel coolant filter
post #9 of 16 Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool Cps

I do now but as usual I bought to soon I think. If this recall keeps up this pace we might all have new ones. I have been reading on all the forums and it sounds like Navistar is trying a new one in the market place now. They only did this because I bought one on e-bay first of the year.

The Ex -box. Total RSD system. See what happens when you let attorneys run your Country!!!! There's nothing wrong with a Democratic society, we just need to get rid of Democrats. 2001 Excursion. 2003 Cobra Terminator all pumped up. Now this is fuuuuuun.
post #10 of 16 Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 AM

Wish I had read this a week ago, I had mine going out at 110K miles and the part was $211 plus labor. That and my Glow Plug Controler. That is when I found out my extended warranty does not cover such things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode